WIN 10 bitch of the day

mjbphotos

This is my internet/everyday computer, I'm still using the Win 7 for recording and video processing at this point. And sometimes for photo processing. I transfer files between the two with a USB thumb drive, PITA that it is.

Today I wanted to move some completed MPG-4 videos from old to new to upload. No big deal. Before uploading, make sure the files didn't corrupt. What did I find? Windows Media Player in Win 10 won't play MPG videos! Oh yeah, it'll play the audio, but not the video. So must be some missing CODECs, right? A search on the MS forums revelas no one has found a way to make WMP work for MPG videos! So I d/l-ed the free VLC player that I had on my old computer, too. Did I say MS sucks today? Now I did.

I ran into this and spent a bunch of time trying to figure out why it wasn't working. Evidently rumored that it has something to do with licensing of the CODEC's and MS didn't want to pony up the $$$ tp pay for said licensing. I installed the VLC player as well.
Try a DVD on Win10 and see if that plays on media player..

I believe DVD and Bluray playback is via an app from Microsoft's store. Apparently the app isn't very good, either.

Cyberlink Powerdvd goes on sale a lot of Newegg, maybe snag a copy for cheap next time it does.

Instead of running data back and forth via thumbdrive, you could set up a folder on one PC and share it - store all your common files in there and use em on either system...

... now if latency (lag) is a concern -- due to live editing etc -- you can set a folder on EACH PC and configure them to Synch up. So you'll have redundancy -- the files will exist on both PCs and will auto update each other based on the latest iteration of the file.

If you need help doing this, PM me...

As for using VLC - you're better off with it than Media Player (First thing I do on a new system build is install VLC - along with a few other things - to replace the Windows versions. Media Player sucks... (Like I really needed to say that lol )

Instead of running data back and forth via thumbdrive, you could set up a folder on one PC and share it - store all your common files in there and use em on either system.

But that would require the computers to be networked, right?

Maybe Mike B doesn't have them networked.

Mike B, is the USB stick and the ports USB 3.0? If not Gigs of Vids is going to take a time!

If you ARE networked do you not have a NAS drive for backup? I have an early cheapish, (2TB £100) one and yes, that takes its time but you can always put the kettle on, have a beer....? Once done you have the files backed up and available to any PC on the network* Fork! If you are cleverer than me you can even access them over the infernalnet!

*Copper of course.

Dave.

The (old) recording computer is not on the network - that's the point, leaving one for what was supposed to be just recording, unfortunately, Win10 has limited me on what I can do on the new computer without spending $$$ for new software.
Even my 4-year-old Canon printer/scanner has no drivers for Win 10 (thanks Canon!) - I can print to it from the new computer, but with no drivers, can't use it for scanning. SO I leave the USB cable dangling out, and plug it into the old computer when I need to scan.

Even my 4-year-old Canon printer/scanner has no drivers for Win 10 (thanks Canon!) - I can print to it from the new computer, but with no drivers, can't use it for scanning. SO I leave the USB cable dangling out, and plug it into the old computer when I need to scan.
I had a similar problem with a Nikon slide scanner when a newer OS (Vista) didn't support it. I ended up getting the software linked below. They used to have a trial version that 'watermarked' the scan, but not sure if they still do that. There is a list of scanners that the software supports. Sort of depends on cost vs inconvenience.
https://www.hamrick.com/reg.html

The (old) recording computer is not on the network - that's the point, leaving one for what was supposed to be just recording, unfortunately, Win10 has limited me on what I can do on the new computer without spending $$$ for new software.

You can get an Ethernet outlet with a keyswitch. Thus the PC can be networked when you want it to be but locked off the net at all other times.

Re "dangling" USB cables? I have used a "USB 2.0 Sharing Switch" (no other name or number) worked very well. In fact I have a spare, new in box, free to a UK bod.

Dave.

You can get an Ethernet outlet with a keyswitch. Thus the PC can be networked when you want it to be but locked off the net at all other times.

Re "dangling" USB cables? I have used a "USB 2.0 Sharing Switch" (no other name or number) worked very well. In fact I have a spare, new in box, free to a UK bod.

Dave.

Or just disable the NIC when you don't want it networked.

Back