Will this work?

SoundlesThunder

I am a guitarist in a band that recently decided with the singer that we wanted to put the band on hold(stop learning cover, start writing our own songs). I have a small space at my home but it is nowhere close to ready to use as a sound proof or decent acoustic setting to record. I own a Roland VS 890 Workstation that I just picked up a few weeks ago and a Boss DR 202 drum machine, as well as some POD things for for direct recording guitar and bass. Optimally I would like to record it to my computer using Reaper or something just to save ideas but am not sure if I would be able to do so and still be able to edit the individual tracks. I guess I am asking if this setup will work or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a audio interface and record everything straight into Reaper? Not sure what I need to do about drums though. I am not a drummer so I don't really want to buy a kit and our drummer isn't into writing original material but I can program the DR 202 just to lay down parts for a demo song. Thanks

You can surely record demos with the 890. What you will find soon are the limitations.

It really depends on the quality you want to achieve with what you have. And then the budget it takes to raise that level.

Your drummer isn't into writing original music? That is strange...

Our drummer is only interested in getting out and playing local bars. If we show up with a song completed then he will learn it. But he doesn't have the patience to sit and work it out I guess. I've played in a few cover bands through the years and I enjoy just getting out and playing but at this point I would be just as happy to write our own stuff and do mostly that with a few covers to fill out the set. As for my current set-up, when we get things to the point of where we are happy arrangement wise we can rent some studio time and record in a proper place. I was really curious whether we would be stuck with the material on the Roland or if it is possible to transfer it to a proper DAW and tweek the individual tracks there?

Our drummer is only interested in getting out and playing local bars. If we show up with a song completed then he will learn it. But he doesn't have the patience to sit and work it out I guess. I've played in a few cover bands through the years and I enjoy just getting out and playing but at this point I would be just as happy to write our own stuff and do mostly that with a few covers to fill out the set. As for my current set-up, when we get things to the point of where we are happy arrangement wise we can rent some studio time and record in a proper place. I was really curious whether we would be stuck with the material on the Roland or if it is possible to transfer it to a proper DAW and tweek the individual tracks there?

Drummers.... lol I am one as well so no disrespect.

So what you will find is that it is more about the room and the mic that will determine quality of recording.

Unless you spend a shit ton of time and some cash making your home studio worthy, you will likely re-track anyway.

But, there are options. You can record with drum machine and spend the time for free recording your guitar and bass tracks. Be careful here though, you are stuck with the tone you record through the pod.

If I were to place myself in your situation, I would buy a simple 2 input interface and a passive direct box. Record your tracks via Reaper with the pod as well as the direct output from your guitar for re-amping later.

Once in the studio with the ability to record drums, you will already have the guitars recorded. As long as the studio has the ability and the gear to do this.

Just throwing out my opinion here.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the click track. The most important if going this route.

Back