Will there be such a thing as vintage plugins?

timboZ

Will people be buying vintage plugins 20 years frome now?
Will my plugins work 20 years from now.
Why are plugins so much vrs real hardware when they have a much shorter life span than hardware?

OK I'm board ans shopping for plugins. :D

timboZ said:
Will people be buying vintage plugins 20 years frome now?
Will my plugins work 20 years from now.
Why are plugins so much vrs real hardware when they have a much shorter life span than hardware?

OK I'm board ans shopping for plugins. :D

Will people be buying vintage plugins? No. Software has basically no resale value. Most plug-ins these days are keyed to your machine, and if the manufacturer goes out of business, you'll never be able to transfer it to a new machine, much less to a new owner.

Why are plugins so expensive compared to hardware? Because people say "Oh, I need that," and buy it instead of first asking themselves if there is a cheaper way to do the same thing. :)

Sure there are vintage plug-ins! I've got some running on my Tandy TRS-80 computer right now. Well, they're not really running on it but they're on those big 5 1/4" inch disks.

That's what I don't like about computer/digital recording. Granted things are much better nowadays...at least in my opinion, but I don't see using the same setup 5 years from now, as I am not using anything I did five years ago, for the most part.

I have a couple of old pieces of rack gear... specifically some ADA 2.56i digital delays which MIGHT get me 50 smackers of Ebay, but they have the best "analog" delay sound out of a digital unit, and the chorus is fantastic on guitar. They're just a pain in the pa-too-tee to patch up and actually use,... they're pretty much are just there for the neat blinking lights and knobs anymore theze dayz. but I bought them new in the early 80's and they still power up every day, for the last 25 years now. Don't think I'll say that about my L1 mix smasher!...but that sucker is probably pushing 5 years now...isn't it?

Vintage plugs? I guess no, as they are 1's and 0's, which can always be easily duplicated in the future. Vintage gear is made with unavailable parts, and, therefore, is nearly impossible to duplicate, meaning if you have to have a C12, you better do some stretching exercises, and break out the Mastercard. If a market emerges twenty years from now for, say, UAD-1 plugs, a couple of MIT kids will post back-engineered algorithms on the web, assuming UA doesn't just port the code to whatever we are using for an OS at that time. Those plugs will be exactly the same as the current ones, ergo, the "vintage" software will have no cache.

Back