will an ibook work for recording with pro tools?

Foo-bu

hey everyone. right now i'm in the market for buying a laptop to do some work on the road and since money is an issue, i was just wondering if any of you have used an ibook to record using protools and a digi002. will this work well? will i run into many problems?

i was also looking at the powerbook but i'm not sure if i can afford it right now. regardless of which one i choose, i plan on upgrading the ram to 1gig.

any help is appreciated!

thanks

Check the Digidesign site for exact system requirements to make sure the ibook model you choose will work.

http://www.digidesign.com/products/le/

The performance of the imac will depend on which one you get. The new ones feature processors speeds up to 1.42 GHz and RAM up to 1.5 GB. Older models have less available RAM (640MB) and slower CPU speeds. I believe the drive speed for most ibooks is 4200 rpm. Powerbooks usually have 5400rpm and most folks around here recommend 7200. They also typically have a single firewire port which means a hub or some other trick for hooking up an external drive.

Performance will also depend on how many tracks you're running, how many plugins per track, and what type of plugins. Unfortunately, the best way to determine this is to hook up the system and monitor processor performance in your sequencing software. The only practical experience I have with that is based on an older flat panel imac with 800 mHz processor and 640 RAM. I usually ran into performance issues running 8-10 tracks with several Waves plugins (especially reverbs). I never tested the maximum number of tracks without plugins but I'm sure it would be higher.

Back