Why Sonar or Why Cubase? I don't get it?!

jpfour23 said:
resh is just pissed cause I talked bad about his PT LE setup. LOL

You don't have to "own" the software to read reviews, comparison charts, or statistics and determine from these what software to choose. Geeze..

Dude, I'm not pissed you don't like PT LE. I'm pissed that you spout off on shit you have no idea what you're talking about. You spread information without any first hand experience.

In addition to the absolutely unsubstantiated statements about PT CPU usage being through the roof.....

jpfour23 said:
You can use other interfaces with ProTools!

And your response to me telling you that you couldn't.....

jpfour23 said:
See the Mackie Control Universal... I suppose it depends on what level of control you want. No, it won't work like a control 24, but its certain cheaper... and it works! I have a friend using it now.

If you don't know the difference between a control surface and an interface you probably shouldn't be giving advice period,
let alone giving advice from reading reviews and rehashing them (poorly), without so much as trying a demo of the program you are recommending or dissing. : :rolleyes:

Take some fricking responsiblity for what you post, what if that person had went out and bought a non Digi (and now M-Audio) interface to use with PT based on your post, only to find it didn't work after he bought it?
There's enough bullshit out there without you adding to the pile. :eek:

Last edited:
We certainly do all have opinions.

Middleman - you are the first person I have ever heard reccomend the Event's over the Dynaudio's. Me, I couldn't stand the sound of the older Event monitors. Extremely dull and bland. However, you are right in the fact that the newer event precision 8's sound pretty decent. In my opinion much better than the older ones. However, the 6" dynaudio's actually have a smoother clearer top end, and actually put out more usable low frequencies than the precision 8's. The precision 8's seem to mush up in the 100 to 300 hz range, much like the Mackie's do. In my opinion the change from Mackie HR824's to the Event precision 8's would not be a whole lot of change, except for getting a little more pleasent high frequency response, and a little more accurate low end response, but not a lot. LIke I have always said about the Dynaudio's though. Go look for a used pair. They are very hard to find. Why is that? because people keep them. They are tried and true and excellent studio performers that are currently being used in a lot of high end studio's. Right up there with the ADAM's that a lot of people currently like.

Reshp1 - I agree that people shoudl not make reccomendations about stuff they have not used unless they clearly state that fact. Sadly though, he did hit it right on the head with many points concerning the limitations of Pro Tools LE. Just to reaffirm my dislikes of PT LE, I had the unfortunate opportunity to have to use it the other day. Actually, my problem does not have as much to do with the software, but more of the hardware you are forced to use and it's limitations. However, I would not be happy having to live with the 32 track limitation. I certainly don't need 32 tracks, but it would really change my workflow in a way that I would not prefer. All, the 16 simulatenous input thing would not be a happy thing for me either. HD however, now we are talkin;)

xstatic said:
Reshp1 - I agree that people shoudl not make reccomendations about stuff they have not used unless they clearly state that fact. Sadly though, he did hit it right on the head with many points concerning the limitations of Pro Tools LE. Just to reaffirm my dislikes of PT LE, I had the unfortunate opportunity to have to use it the other day. Actually, my problem does not have as much to do with the software, but more of the hardware you are forced to use and it's limitations. However, I would not be happy having to live with the 32 track limitation. I certainly don't need 32 tracks, but it would really change my workflow in a way that I would not prefer. All, the 16 simulatenous input thing would not be a happy thing for me either. HD however, now we are talkin;)

Yeah, absolutely. I have no problem with people not liking protools LE for things that actually ARE wrong with it. The 32 voiceable limit is most frustrating for me as well. It's a purposely crippled function, not an omission to save money. It's actually 18 inputs not 16, but again I agree it's a limitation too. Even if you don't like it because of the way Digidesign is trying to take over the market, that's a valid opinion.

My gripe was with the reasons he listed that were totally false. PT does not have a higher overhead than Cubase or Sonar, nor do RTAS plugs use more processing than VST or DirectX. And the statement that you can't do many edits in PT (which is an entirely off-line process) because you'll max out your computer makes me think he doesn't know jack shit about computer based recording. If you need to post your own thread about which software to buy, you shouldn't be giving recommendations to others.

Anyway, it has now been beat to death.....continue with the regularly scheduled thread. Hopefully the advice will be from people who've actually used either. :rolleyes:

Well I was going to comment but this thread is getting heated! all I can say is that I once had an 02R and look what I am running now. No disrespect...

Nuff said :cool:

Carter said:
Well I was going to comment but this thread is getting heated! all I can say is that I once had an 02R and look what I am running now. No disrespect...

Nuff said :cool:

SaaaWeeet dude. How's that Mackie Universal treating you? I'm running a Motor Mix and keep wishing I had a jog-shuttle wheel and touch sensitivity on the faders......lucky bastard :D

reshp1 said:
SaaaWeeet dude. How's that Mackie Universal treating you? I'm running a Motor Mix and keep wishing I had a jog-shuttle wheel and touch sensitivity on the faders......lucky bastard :D

The freaking machine is great, The jog wheel is very helpful and the faders are very quiet and sensitive I wouldnt give it up for the world! I had to give up my 02R just to get it, The wife was not feeling it at the time!!! and come on reshp1 the motormix aint bad, pretty neat device at least its not a berry :rolleyes:

xstatic said:

Middleman - you are the first person I have ever heard reccomend the Event's over the Dynaudio's. Me, I couldn't stand the sound of the older Event monitors. Extremely dull and bland. However, you are right in the fact that the newer event precision 8's sound pretty decent. In my opinion much better than the older ones. However, the 6" dynaudio's actually have a smoother clearer top end, and actually put out more usable low frequencies than the precision 8's. The precision 8's seem to mush up in the 100 to 300 hz range, much like the Mackie's do. In my opinion the change from Mackie HR824's to the Event precision 8's would not be a whole lot of change, except for getting a little more pleasent high frequency response, and a little more accurate low end response, but not a lot. LIke I have always said about the Dynaudio's though. Go look for a used pair. They are very hard to find. Why is that? because people keep them. They are tried and true and excellent studio performers that are currently being used in a lot of high end studio's. Right up there with the ADAM's that a lot of people currently like.

Well, my only response is 4 other people in the same room with me thought the Precision 8s had a better overall image than the Dynaudios. Your right though everyone has an opinion. Also, if you think the Precision 8s and the Mackies are even remotely close in sound, I would say you need to find a different room to compare them in.

Also, there must have been something wrong with the settings on the Events you heard. The 100-300 range is in fact their strong suite. We played some tunes where a cello part could only clearly be heard on the Event 8s and JBL LSR6328Ps. The Mackies and Dynaudios barely revealed the part.

As far as only hearing of myself putting the Dynaudios below the Events, check this out

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=30209&highlight=event+precision

Last edited:
Back