Why get Pro Tools when you can get use something like REAPER?

I dont use protools neither reaper...
Before I was using cakewalk (MusicCreator was my first software sequencer) than N-Track, than Sonar, and finally Nuendo.
Maybe i would be using protools if they had demo version for a test, but i like Steinberg's interface and all their "logic"...

For audio i might be using anything, but i like to select a sequencer first looking at MIDI abiity.
Reaper doesn't even have midi tracks....

Vadim said:
For audio i might be using anything, but i like to select a sequencer first looking at MIDI abiity.

no, it does.
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/features.php

about halfway down....
MIDI support

* MIDI files can be inserted in any track
* Piano roll MIDI editor with velocity, pitch, and CC controls
* Support for multi-track recording/monitoring of any MIDI hardware input
* Any number of tracks can send to any MIDI hardware output
* Support for VSTi/DXi softsynths and VST MIDI fx
* Support for MIDI sending/receiving to ReWire devices
* Support for recording a track's output (audio or MIDI) independent of what input is selected (meaning you can record live the audio output of a softsynth from a MIDI source, or even more interestingly record the MIDI output of ReaGate from a live (audio) input)

Where did you hear this?

Vadim said:

you can add midi to any track in reaper, all tracks are added to the project as "audio" tracks, all you have to do is insert a midi item in the track and BAM! you got a midi track. in REAPER, any track can serve any function, whether it be group, folder, audio, send FX, or MIDI etc.

i started learning in cool edit pro so naturally I'm using adobe audition...
I've tried a few other programs but I'm most efficient in audition..

I'm glad i read this thread because since i'm now using pro tools compatible equipment I was seriously thinking about switching.. I still will give it a shot.. but the more I think about it the more I think i want to stick with audition.. that program keeps getting better.. they're getting very very close to having an incredible program (being a graphic designer i know adobe usually delivers)

I have used Cool Edit Pro, then Cubase SX3, but have fallen in love with Reaper. Not ONE crash and after putting in some time (as one must do with ANY software to learn its workflow) find I can work much faster in Reaper.

When I first opened it, I thought it looked amateurish, but I don't care what it look like now, it works great.

It is a different interface, with a different idea about workflow, so give it a little time. Many will find what I did.

Hi, I use Reaper now with Adobe Audition 2.0 for editing, great combo. One major kudo for Reapers is that it doesn't use much CPU or RAM movement. AA 2.0 bogs down my studio computer very early on in the recording process. A drawback though, is, if you start splitting wavs and trying to match up others for, let's say a whole song, it goes out of whack if you do too many edits, and Cool Edit Pro and AA don't do that too often.

One thing I wanted to ask, was, not to thread hijack as one op said. How can you get a better bass sound. I have tried just about everything. I have a nice bass guitar, and a Johnson J-station, some compressors, etc., but I can't get that really tight in your face bass sound. I am asking because I am starting work on a double CD of almost all rock stuff, and need that dynamic lower leve. Please add to this thread or redirect if you know a tried and true method that would work for digital equipment. I used to get a decent bass sound from my older tape equipment. Thanks for listening, psongman

psongman said:
A drawback though, is, if you start splitting wavs and trying to match up others for, let's say a whole song, it goes out of whack if you do too many edits, and Cool Edit Pro and AA don't do that too often.

Can you send an *.rpp and some repro instructions to make this happen?

If this is happening it WILL be fixed

jonnyc said:
Because you fools don't deserve to use our superior plugs. Muhahahahahaaaaaaa.

Who's the spineless pussy who negged me for this? You can politely go fuck yourself, you reaper loving homo. Sign your rep next time!

zed32 said:
you can add midi to any track in reaper, all tracks are added to the project as "audio" tracks, all you have to do is insert a midi item in the track and BAM! you got a midi track. in REAPER, any track can serve any function, whether it be group, folder, audio, send FX, or MIDI etc.

this is one of the things i love most about reaper. using normal tracks as grounds, sends, fx sends, whatever!

Actually, Reaper is creating a stir in the music industry. However, no one is going to make a switch to Pro Tools anytime in the next 10 years. As for the workflow issue, it's the same deal with almost every daw out there. The more you know a program, the faster you work. For me, I work optimal in Pro Tools, everything is laid out simple, and not cluttered like most DAWs (already mentioned). I usually never keep my hands off of the keyboard unless I'm working on the dm2000 or something. Short cuts are well thought out, with minimal movement. I could select all, cut, drop to another track, past, duplicate, and hit record in the maximum of 2 seconds.

The reason I went back to Cubase: familiarity and ease of use. In a session, I just want to keep moving everything along without stopping and scratching my head about something. While Cubase, on occasion, does this to me, Reaper was doing it much, MUCH more. Things that I thought should be in one place were in the last place I'd look, things that should have been a two-clicks-on-one-menu type deal took multiple menus, and it just didn't work out for me. I know there are a couple of scripting tools out there to automate some processes, but god, Cubase, I love thee so. That said, Reaper is a great program and I'm sure if I had used it before Cubase, it would be the other way around.

I downloaded Reaper trial for Mac OSX today.
cant find a EQ .
or make MIDI work

anyone sucseeded with these tasks on Mac?

K.G.Bass said:
I downloaded Reaper trial for Mac OSX today.
cant find a EQ .
or make MIDI work

anyone sucseeded with these tasks on Mac?
At the moment there's not a lot you can do on the Mac version. I think it will be next year before the Mac version is up to the PC version...my impression is that the Mac dev. has not progressed as fast as they envisioned.

Back