Why get Pro Tools when you can get use something like REAPER?

I think the layout in Reaper is actualy the best(well to me at least).You have the most toos you need right on the track view.The FX button ,the automation button,etc. I do use Cubase SL3 and compare to Reaper IT is cluttered with menu's on top of menus on top of extra windows,in the end you have 4 windows open just to do a simple task.I have dual monitors and even with using both i get a cluttered screen. See i like the simplicity of reaper and the smooth work flow.If i want to try something that has been discussed here ,like MS Technique ,i run to Reaper first before i go to Cubase ,since i know everything i need will be right under my hands and quick.
Now i have been using Cubase for over 2 years but i used Reaper only for few months.

By the way i dont know any of the creators or supporters of reaper,nor do i go to their forums that much,i'm just comenting on the software.

Not to take this threrad in a different dirrection but why has nobody developed an RTAS to VST wraper?

jonnyc said:
I'm not entirely convinced this is true. If various eq, compression, and other plugins can sound vastly different from one another I'd think it'd be the same for software that simply captures audio data.

The quality of what you record into your computer depends more on hardware than software. Recording software is, in a way, merely an interface to control your hardware in that respect. When you are recording something, it isn't really doing any processing to the sound, it's just capturing it. Or that's my understanding anyway.... With plugins, there is processing involved. Obviously, thats what they are for. Different plugins have different algorithms and process things differently, that's why they sound different. :)

Garik said:
You have the most toos you need right on the track view.The FX button ,the automation button,etc. I do use Cubase SL3 and compare to Reaper IT is cluttered with menu's on top of menus on top of extra windows,in the end you have 4 windows open just to do a simple task.I have dual monitors and even with using both i get a cluttered screen.

I have dual monitors too, and I rely on all the menus, inserts and controls being on screen, or easily accessible. That's exactly what I DIDN'T like about reaper. It doesn't let you access the information or controls that I want to in one click.

To get to anything beyond the most basic controls, you have to drill down in some goofy menu. With Cubase, Nuendo and probably Protools, they are all right there, and they are visual in nature - knobs, sliders and switches, not text menus with drop downs lists and yes or no circles to check.

BTW, from a more general production standpoint, I think a combination of keyboard shortcuts and mouse clicks are the most efficient way to do things. Somethings you need a mouse click for, and if you do have to click, you want it to be ONE click, not three...

This is only my personal take, and so is purely subjective of course. I just wanted to give you the first impressions of someone never having tried it before.

timboZ said:
Not to take this threrad in a different dirrection but why has nobody developed an RTAS to VST wraper?

Because you fools don't deserve to use our superior plugs. Muhahahahahaaaaaaa.

amra said:
I have dual monitors too, and I rely on all the menus, inserts and controls being on screen, or easily accessible. That's exactly what I DIDN'T like about reaper. It doesn't let you access the information or controls that I want to in one click.

To get to anything beyond the most basic controls, you have to drill down in some goofy menu. With Cubase, Nuendo and probably Protools, they are all right there, and they are visual in nature - knobs, sliders and switches, not text menus with drop downs lists and yes or no circles to check.

I have to agree with amra here. And with his first post about windows just looking clunky. I've always felt that Pro Tools' graphical layout has been designed specifically for Pro Tools. So that it doesn't look like every program out there. It's windows seem to keep a "Pro Tools" look and not a "Windows XP generic menu" look...if that makes sense.
I do have Reaper on this computer, but I do admit I've had very minimal time with it. I downloaded because everyone here talks about it so much, so I thought I'd investigate it.
A few things I've wondered about it (and maybe people can help me here) but I've heard a lot about it's "I/O routing ability"...how do I route several tracks with one click to an output? Like for instance in PT I can select 15 of my 20 tracks, Shift+Alt click to assign them all to the same output or buss. Do I have to assign each track individually in Reaper? Cause like amra said above I don't like having this pop up window everytime I want to assign an I/O.

Also, maybe this is just in the version I have still (1.26), but when opening a window like the I/O view it loses focus of the main window...so I can't control playback with the keyboard. Same with the plugin view. In PT, I can have a plugin open and still control playback with the keyboard.

But of course this all just slight things that would annoy me with any program I'd try...you just get used to one program for so long.

mainly because most RTAS plugins are already in VST format as well. The great thing about VST is that anyone can develop plugins for it...not true about RTAS. So there aren't a lot of free RTAS plugins out there. And all the ones you pay for also have VST versions anyway.
Although the ability to make free RTAS plugins is out there...there just isn't many people who take on the task (referring to Pluggo's architecture).

Last edited:
Benny that's exactly the kind of "workflow" glitches that I was talking about...

I dont have ProTools and I dont have Reaper either, I was just wondering if there IS such a huge diff. between PT and Reaper which would help me decide the direction I wanna go in. Thanks for the replies. Im using Acoustica Mixcraft which is an even less refined version of Garage Band for PC and its working out great for me, but I wanna upgrade, I think I'll give reaper a try.
Mike

First discriminant - to run protools you must have Digidesign hardware.

Nightfire said:
I dont have ProTools and I dont have Reaper either, I was just wondering if there IS such a huge diff. between PT and Reaper which would help me decide the direction I wanna go in. Thanks for the replies. Im using Acoustica Mixcraft which is an even less refined version of Garage Band for PC and its working out great for me, but I wanna upgrade, I think I'll give reaper a try.
Mike

Nightfire said:
I dont have ProTools and I dont have Reaper either, I was just wondering if there IS such a huge diff. between PT and Reaper which would help me decide the direction I wanna go in.
There is one big difference which hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet (I don't think):

Reaper is software. ProTools is not software per se. It's software that is only part an integrated system of hardware and software combined.

You can only use the Pro Tools software with mainly Digidesign interface hardware and/or MAudio interface hardware (depending upon your version of PT), with the occasional and rare exception of some MOTU and Apogee hardware that is also licensed to work with PT software. But if you want to go in any other hardware interface direction, ProTools in not an option.

G.

After years of using Cubase I faced the upgrade to 4 or going with something else. thankfully, I gave reaper a spin and after a few weeks I knew I'd never go back to steiny. Once you learn Reaper you'll work twice as fast -- but I'm not much of a vsti user so ymmv

Thanks for the info Southside Glen, I did not know this :) I was leaning towards Reaper anyways and now Im just more sure.
Does Reaper have an EQ or FX windows that you can drag to the second screen?

Mike

SouthSIDE Glen said:
How are the keyboard commands in Reaper? Extensive? Logical? Standards-compatable at all?

G.

Being that the creator and many core users of reaper were vegas nuts, you can take a wild guess here :)

bennychico11 said:
I have to agree with amra here. And with his first post about windows just looking clunky. I've always felt that Pro Tools' graphical layout has been designed specifically for Pro Tools. So that it doesn't look like every program out there. It's windows seem to keep a "Pro Tools" look and not a "Windows XP generic menu" look...if that makes sense.
I do have Reaper on this computer, but I do admit I've had very minimal time with it. I downloaded because everyone here talks about it so much, so I thought I'd investigate it.
A few things I've wondered about it (and maybe people can help me here) but I've heard a lot about it's "I/O routing ability"...how do I route several tracks with one click to an output? Like for instance in PT I can select 15 of my 20 tracks, Shift+Alt click to assign them all to the same output or buss. Do I have to assign each track individually in Reaper? Cause like amra said above I don't like having this pop up window everytime I want to assign an I/O.

Also, maybe this is just in the version I have still (1.26), but when opening a window like the I/O view it loses focus of the main window...so I can't control playback with the keyboard. Same with the plugin view. In PT, I can have a plugin open and still control playback with the keyboard.

But of course this all just slight things that would annoy me with any program I'd try...you just get used to one program for so long.

mainly because most RTAS plugins are already in VST format as well. The great thing about VST is that anyone can develop plugins for it...not true about RTAS. So there aren't a lot of free RTAS plugins out there. And all the ones you pay for also have VST versions anyway.
Although the ability to make free RTAS plugins is out there...there just isn't many people who take on the task (referring to Pluggo's architecture).

Benny i do agree that Protools has a great layout,and very user friendly.I used protools for 2 years before. The blank right click was the one thing that i hated about it,but its a great software and very straightforward.

Edit:now that i remember.......the automation in Protools are similar to the Reaper where you dont need to open another track view for volume ,pan etc..vs..reaper where you have automation hidden or showing on the same track.Dont get me started on the VST instuments where you have 16 channels additional on the screen vs the reaper that puts them straight in the FX and using as VST plugin.Although Reaper does come short in many ways , but i guess we are all making different music and different ways of creating it make the software fall in the right place.

So dounload the DEMO and take it from there :D

PS:check out my sig :D i cant get enough of it :p

Last edited:
Reaper rocks!

having to use a protools interface REALLY sucks to me. unless youre willing to get into the the pro models, the interfaces are really not that great in terms of features. you can WAY more i/o for the same money. the only interface that i could use that appeals to me is the m-audio ones. but even those arent the greatest.

im just about to start buying my first real gear this summer, summer right now im just using a 2 in 2 out soundcard and some cheap mics. i use reaper after trialing cubase and sonar. my computer is really low spec'ed, and reaper was not only the only one that ran well on my computer, but it was the easiest for me to work with. it seemed to replicate an analog setup more to me. and i like having stuff organized in menus rather than buttons all the over the main window. the vst window does suck, but the docking/tab system is awesome but unfortunately is not used alot by the program by default. once you take the time to customize reaper to your liking (which btw it is very customizable) it is awesome. also, ITS CHEAP!

awesome forums, good enough low cpu using plugins for scratch work and some for final products, and free unlimited shareware. only forty bucks for a non commercial license and 200 for a full licensed product. i cant wait for future versions.

Adam

marshall409 said:
having to use a protools interface REALLY sucks to me. unless youre willing to get into the the pro models, the interfaces are really not that great in terms of features. you can WAY more i/o for the same money. the only interface that i could use that appeals to me is the m-audio ones. but even those arent the greatest.

which ones do you like better in terms of feaures? In other words...which interfaces have more I/O?

more i/o

the alesis 26i/o is 26 in and 8 or 16 out iirc. 400 bucks, firewire, 24/192

2 delta 1010s-18 in/18 out, 400-800 bucks, pci

echo, tascam, even presonus all come in at a better i/o to price ratio speaking in general terms.

Adam

edit: both of those have midi aswell, and the alesis has inserts on all 8 analog inputs, which is pretty cool i think. pretty rare too. it looks mighty fine to a strapped teenager like me, and its got rave reviews over at studio central forums from craig anderton and everyone over there thats using it. a few technical issues, but nothing more than expected from a brand new, lower end firewire interface.

reaper / protools / n-track / tracktion.

I have to say I do find some of the comments on this thread intresting.

Reaper will give it a try.

Did use N-Track but at one point it was always rebooting my computer (but it did not cost a arm and a leg)

Did not even think of Pro Tools way over buget for me :eek:
not much in the way of picking or chosing hardware.

Did get a full version of Tracktion 1.7 with my ESI juli@ card
Worked great for me after the N-Track disaster (was recording some demo tracks for a band that weekend - Tracktion saved the day)

I like its flow and the fact i was recording in 5 minutes after loading it on my system. :cool:

over time I got a RME-Fireface 800 used but at a killer price :D

Even though i Will be trying Reaper to see what the buzzzzzz is about.

I will be picking up Tracktion 3 (works great for me ) it costs 250us for ultimate edition.

What it realy gets down to is if it's working for you and are you happy
That is what matters in the end.

P.S. got a great audio interface (now i just got work on my playing/recording skills now )

P.P.S. if someone wants to use another program for a mix i'm working on will give them the .wav files on a dvd rom and let the import them - to the software of his or her choice :p

My 2 Watts.

SuperGeek said:
What it realy gets down to is if it's working for you and are you happy
That is what matters in the end.

I would restate, from the perspective of an old console and tape guy:

What it really gets down to is if its limitations and compromises are acceptable enough to get your work done

If the glass were half empty anyhow

Back