Why doesn't Apple and M.S. kiss and make up?

pisces7378

This may be showing my naivity, but I don't understand why there has to be this huge issue with Mac vs. PC. In the beginning it was kind of fun to sit around and spit back and forth with each other about this that and the other about Mac vs. PC but it has grown old and dumb.

Why doesn't Mac just start supporting Windows OS? I think that it would be a BRILLIANT move. Apple hardware is so obviously superior to PC builds on average. Of course, some guy in his home workshop can assemble a rock solid machine that can make NASA's computers pale in fear (or whatever). So I am not getting into a Mac vs. PC hardware debate. The new Mac G5 is by ANYONE's standards unequaled by ANYONE. IBM chips with Apple slickness and marketing. I mean come on!

BUT... Windows is the house hold name that everyone from house-wives, to grandmas know. People buy what they know. So why doesn't Mac just make a PC ready version of their hardware?

I know, I know... What about OS X and all the lovely Apple propriatary software???

Well it can stick around and prosper. Hell let's face it.... people who buy Macs are people that want them for a special reason. Graphics, music, art, editing, digital-video, or just beause they saw one of those carefully marketd product placement bits in a Hollywood film where everyone is using a Mac. Joe Schmo and technical computer professionals (programmers) buy Windows. Now DO NOT get me wrong. I know that there are a lot of professionals in artistic and musical circles that use Windows as well. I am one of them. I don't have a Mac. But it is true that, while not everyone that does art/music does so on a Mac... almost everyone that owns a Mac bought it to do Music/Art.

So why not make the hardware OS free? That way people would buy the hardware and then they could choose OS X or Windows X. Those that make music (especially with eMagic) and other art things, would probably still chose OS X from Apple... but they would sell a hell of a lot more machines to Grandma and House-wives. And then after you have them with an Apple machine, they would work on converting them to a Mac OS.

What do you guys think?

P.S. PLEASE do not turn this into some Mac vs. PC and who is better debate. Just stick with what I am talking about here.

because M$ is extremely EVIL and needs to be involved in a slow miserable bankruptcy... :p

apple is a good comp/OS Co (and will grow) (imho)... along with Linux and many of the open sorce offerings...

considering Longhorn is 2 years away and if any current software will even run on it, reasonably, from all the restrictions there thinking about installing in it... (slashdot.org)

the net will thin faster if greed keeps buying laws jacking/hiking prices, ripping users, infected programs (drm) etc etc...

Last edited:
"Why doesn't Mac just start supporting Windows OS?"

Uhhh, it does. I've run Connectix Virtual PC for about 8 or 9 years now when needed. Not a perfect emulation but pretty darned good and getting better every year as Mac's speed up. I blew the minds of a few fellow IT-dept guys when I highlighted text amd graphics in a Mac application and then jumped over to the PC window and pasted it perfectly in Word.... and that was 7 years ago. With Virtual PC you can run any flavor of DOS, Windows (3.1 to XP) or PC-bases Linux.

Please note that Microsoft has now bought up Virtual PC and the worry is that they will now crush it so they won't have to have the embarrasment of not being able to do the same in reverse on the Windows platform. Kinda shows you their mindset....

(Oh, and before anyone flames me, I own both Macs AND PCs going back to the early 1980 days of 8088 4Mhz'ers. I don't CARE what platform I work on, just what tools get the job done....)

TimOBrien said:

Please note that Microsoft has now bought up Virtual PC and the worry is that they will now crush it so they won't have to have the embarrasment of not being able to do the same in reverse on the Windows platform. Kinda shows you their mindset....

(Oh, and before anyone flames me, I own both Macs AND PCs going back to the early 1980 days of 8088 4Mhz'ers. I don't CARE what platform I work on, just what tools get the job done....)

if they ever do support is a good ways down the road, imho, why would they do that? microhack anyway?

Last edited:
Oh yeah I forgot about virtual PCs etc.

But I am not talking about some "mystical" virtual version of Windows (I say mystical, because house wives and grandmas have no clue what virtual this that and the other mean). I am talking about Apple selling some of their machines with 100% MS Windows and MS software. I mean like, when you go to a computer mega-store like Best Buy, or Circuit City you have Dell's, Gateway's, SONY's, sitting right alongside Apples all running the same PC software.

They could still keep their proprietary OS and software for their more "Mac/Art/Music/Graphics" customers, but just dip their little wick into the big honey pot of House wives and grandmas.

What is the big deal?

Gradmas and housewives get iMacs. Kids in college get iBooks. You're missing the whole point. To me it's the OS and not really the hardware. Yes, Apple hardware is superb in everyway, has always been. But the sleekness of tight integration of the OS with the hardware is Apple's forte. Unfortunately right now I am relegated to my Windows Machine, as my PowerMac's HD ate shit and died. Will be getting up and running soon though. Why would anyone want to run Windoze on a PowerMac? :confused:

Basically, if all software was supported, I'd get a mac, their OS is a lot better as well as the hardware. It's just a shame that Microsoft has a monopoly

Back