why?

bhlewis

necessity or convience

hey why do i need another hard drive? now ive got a intel p3 733mhz 128meg ata ultra/100 7200rpm 10.2gig hard drive.
what would be my advantages on adding another hard drive just for recording. i had better mention i do want to be able to record at least 16 tracks of audio. whats more important memory or drives please explain. to some it all up is two hard drives neccessity or convience.thanks.

A second drive isn't a necessity, but it would be a good investment for several reasons. First, 10 gigs isn't very big when you are recording sound (particularly with 16 track songs) and then you will still need room for your OS and whatever other programs you are running.

Secondly, as you use your computer the hard drive will become fragmented. Then when you record, the sound files will be broken apart and placed wherever there is available space on the drive. This will tax your system and make playback more difficult. (Of course, frequent defragging will help minimize this.)

Good idea to get a second 20 gig hard drive and dedicate it to your audio files. Leave everything else on your main drive. (And defrag them both frequently - but in particular the audio drive.)

Back