Who's using AMD Athlon XP's so far?

tubedude

Who's using AMD XP's and with what kind of luck? Track and plug in count? Done any tests just to max out your system? Note your motherboard/chipset too....

Yep.

Athlon XP 1500+
Not done any recording yet, no soundcard (sob!)
Soltek SL-75 DRV2 mobo (kT266A chipset)
256MB DDR RAM Samsung
GeForce MX200 64MB

Stable as a rock! Gone to 1800+ (1500 Mhz) with 90% stability...

Sang

Good to hear... I'm looking at the same chipset and processor, except maybe the 1600 instead, since its only $8 more right now :)
Anyone mind doing a little test? All I'm looking for is 24 tracks of 24 bit, and then start adding a 3 band EQ to each track til it crashes or starts locking up. I'd like to see 24 tracks with about 15 EQs and a reverb out of this before it stalls. Any more than that and I would be quite happy.
What software are you using, there, Sangram?

I havent tried with eq´s. But with 16 24bit tracks. I started:
3 waves ren verb
5 Tc reverbs
16 ren comps
And then Cpu meter in nuendo was about 80% maybe.
That was with an Athlon Xp 1500 oc to an 1800 (1.5ghz) w 256mb ddr.
That impressed me alot to say the least. Coming from an old 400mhz celeron.
hd. maxtor 7200rpm 30gb.
It boots in about 15-20 secs with winMe

Damn, thats 24 plug-ins, and 8 are reverbs (the most CPU brutal of them all)... and 16 tracks, and still a little room to go.... thats very nice.... very very nice... I'm looking forward to this setup.

Tubedude:

n-Track Studio (I'm using the demo version till I get a new soundcard and whatever is bundled with it)

Sonic Foundry Acid 2.0 style

Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 20GB IDE drive (1 only, again waiting to get a full sound setup before plug in another 40 GB Barracuda)

It takes me about 30-35 seconds to boot up, using Win98SE. But my system tray is generally very clean. right now there's the quick tweak for nVidia, Webshots, a little CPU cooler and the volume control.

Sang

Hey Tubedude,

I'm finally getting back to you with my track report I promised. ;) It took me a few days to get everything where I thought it was set up pretty well, as far as getting the BIOS and everything set up for my system. Then there was my hard drive crash the day after I set everything up, knocking out my RAID array I had set up. :mad: Anyway... I'm back in the saddle again, as they say.

I completely reformatted, so to do a track test I basically loaded a bunch of nonsense onto the hard drive - well, not nonsense, but rough and final mixes of all my songs I have backed up on cd. lol It's like a history of my life as a musician in 5 minutes... :D

I figured I would do your test you were looking for, so I loaded up a whole bunch of tracks and put effects on each one. I started off with the 24 you requested. I had 1 effect loaded on each, plus the Vegas track FX on each track (I don't know if they are "active" if you don't adjust them - all the controls are flat, for example on the EQ, but it is "engaged" in the FX window). The FX were a mix - I did have 2 events of Sonc Foundry Acoustic Mirror running, which is the biggest CPU hog I know of.

It went fine. No stuttering, no dropouts. Pretty freaking amazing.

The tracks are all 24bit, 48khz.

I kept going and ended up with 29 tracks. No problems.

I did this the other day before my HD crashed, and it seemed to run out of throughput on the hard drives at around 32 tracks or so.

16/44.1 tracks went all the way up to 70 tracks without encountering throughput problems. (This was before I had made some significant BIOS adjustments, etc.)

This is all on my new setup:

AMD XP1600+ (today's test listed above was done overclocking the system a bit - 145mhz bus speed (1.52ghz - seems pretty stable, but I'm a little worried about my old video card handling this more than the CPU)
Epox 8K7a+
512mb Crucial DDR PC2100
WD 27.3gb
IBM 30gb (freaking thing crashed the other day, and IBM's disk fitness test seems to have fixed it for now...)

I'll be getting rid of the IBM drive, since I don't trust it anymore. I have 2 40gb 7200rpm drives on the way to stick onto the RAID controller onboard, which should be nice. :)

Have fun with your new toys!!!

Y isn't anyone using athlon XP wit Windows XP isn't it supposed to optimize that op system?

and whats that RAID...thing ya talkin about connecting Hard drives to?

RAID... an expression from the old days that describes having more than one hard drive. It means "Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks", although when they started calling it that, 500mb hardrives were about $500.... go figure ;) The "I" means something else, actually, but this is good enough for your answer.
THe Athlon "XP" has notta to do with the operating system silly.

i run a AthlonXP 1600+ on XPPro. it works fine. the chip has never gone over 30c the mother board is usually at 26-28c. it runs faster than the P4 2gig i have over here(my moms)

i've used it with a delta 1010, staudio cport, and a motu 2408. they all work fine.

Back