White Noise? Behringer into Echo Mia MIDI

derekp

Hey folks,
I'm trying to identify the culprit of what I can only guess is white noise. I've tried unplugging, rearranging chords, etc. Nothing has worked. I've attached a 4 second clip of what it sounds like when I amplify it 50 dbs. Normalizing it and it would peak! I use a small Behringer mixer and plug it into my Echo Mia MIDI soundcard. This is the sound I get whether I have a mic plugged in or not.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• White Noise.mp3
    98 KB · Views: 10
To add to this all: white noise even registers when I do not have anything plugged into the soundcard: main outs and cd/tape in. I get the same level of white noise. I simply record in a program like Audacity or Adobe with with Analog 1-2 (Mia MIDI) as my recording device.

You are correct, that is white noise or I've never seen any!

I suspect the usual 100% setting in Windows Sounds? It is possible that the Echo card has failed, might be worth removing it, spraying the slot with De-oxit ('s'all getting on a bit now!) wipe the card contacts then re install the card's drivers.

If the card HAS died it is time to consider an external USB AI.....LOT of choice but consider your present and possible future needs carefully in terms of I/O count, low latency capability (bet the Echo was great?) and be very aware that a lot of newer AIs DO NOT DO MIDI! Don't effin' tell you that of course!

Last thought. You might find an M-A 2496? Good performance but RCA unbalanced connectors. Oh! And try Reaper with ASIO drivers if available for the card.

Dave.

Attachments

• w noise echo.png
    w noise echo.png
    113 KB · Views: 19
You are correct, that is white noise or I've never seen any!

I suspect the usual 100% setting in Windows Sounds? It is possible that the Echo card has failed, might be worth removing it, spraying the slot with De-oxit ('s'all getting on a bit now!) wipe the card contacts then re install the card's drivers.

If the card HAS died it is time to consider an external USB AI.....LOT of choice but consider your present and possible future needs carefully in terms of I/O count, low latency capability (bet the Echo was great?) and be very aware that a lot of newer AIs DO NOT DO MIDI! Don't effin' tell you that of course!

Last thought. You might find an M-A 2496? Good performance but RCA unbalanced connectors. Oh! And try Reaper with ASIO drivers if available for the card.

Dave.

In terms of Windows Sounds, is that as simple as the "adjust system volume"? If so, I can rule that out immediately as it is not 100%. Got any recommendations on the USB audio interface? I'd want my monitors to hook up to it. Thanks for the reply!

In terms of Windows Sounds, is that as simple as the "adjust system volume"? If so, I can rule that out immediately as it is not 100%. Got any recommendations on the USB audio interface? I'd want my monitors to hook up to it. Thanks for the reply!

My top reccy for a sub £200 AI is the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Past £200 it really comes down to wanted I/O count and features such as onboard DSP and clever software.

Dave.

My top reccy for a sub £200 AI is the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Past £200 it really comes down to wanted I/O count and features such as onboard DSP and clever software.

Dave.

I ended up buying a Focusrite Scarlett 2/4. I still have white noise. I've tried both my SM57 and my Shure condensor. Any suggestions?

I ended up buying a Focusrite Scarlett 2/4. I still have white noise. I've tried both my SM57 and my Shure condensor. Any suggestions?

OK, setup the Shure about 30mm from mouth and recite "Mary had" (or Eskimo Nell IYL!) such that the average level in Audacity is about -18dB ('tis marked) and plosives hit about neg ten. Then shutup and be a quiet as you can for ten seconds. Post the whole clip as the best quality, mono MP3 you can.

This process will give us an idea of the dynamic range of the system. Your expectation might jar with achievable reality!

Dave.

OK, setup the Shure about 30mm from mouth and recite "Mary had" (or Eskimo Nell IYL!) such that the average level in Audacity is about -18dB ('tis marked) and plosives hit about neg ten. Then shutup and be a quiet as you can for ten seconds. Post the whole clip as the best quality, mono MP3 you can.

This process will give us an idea of the dynamic range of the system. Your expectation might jar with achievable reality!

Dave.

Will this work? Thanks!

Attachments

• little lamb white noise (test).mp3
    756.1 KB · Views: 3
I've been doing some additional trial&error:
When I speak into the mic almost immediately after hitting record, the white noise registers at around -34 db.

On the other hand, if I say nothing into the microphone, hit record and remain silent for 5-10 seconds, the white noise is through the roof (probably past -0- ). What gives?

Pursuant to the PM D!

The level was a little high but even cranked back to neg 20 or so the noise is still horrendous.

Have you checked/played around with levels as per the screen shot attached? But then I would assume the Echo card has ASIO divers?

Can you hear this noise from the headphone output of the mixer? If not I would try defeating the sound card and plugging the mixer into the 1/8th" jack input of the PC.

Is there any chance you could try another computer? I picked up an XP tower several months ago from a charity shop for a tenner! Anything will run the card and two tracks.

Dave.

Attachments

• WIn sound levels.png
    WIn sound levels.png
    250.5 KB · Views: 6
Pursuant to the PM D!

The level was a little high but even cranked back to neg 20 or so the noise is still horrendous.

Have you checked/played around with levels as per the screen shot attached? But then I would assume the Echo card has ASIO divers?

Can you hear this noise from the headphone output of the mixer? If not I would try defeating the sound card and plugging the mixer into the 1/8th" jack input of the PC.

Is there any chance you could try another computer? I picked up an XP tower several months ago from a charity shop for a tenner! Anything will run the card and two tracks.

Dave.

I have looked at my levels like the screen shows. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Remember that I bought an audio interface (Focusrite) now. The "Mary had" sample was recorded using the Focusrite.

I'm eventually getting a new computer. The current one I have is about 7 years old or so. I'd pass on an XP only because everything I use now pretty much requires a better PC and operating system (Adobe, Reason).

I have looked at my levels like the screen shows. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Remember that I bought an audio interface (Focusrite) now. The "Mary had" sample was recorded using the Focusrite.

I'm eventually getting a new computer. The current one I have is about 7 years old or so. I'd pass on an XP only because everything I use now pretty much requires a better PC and operating system (Adobe, Reason).

My comment about an XP machine was only to suggest a cheap option to test with. (HTF do you manage with just one PC?)

Did you try the headphone out of the mixer?

Dave.

My comment about an XP machine was only to suggest a cheap option to test with. (HTF do you manage with just one PC?)

Did you try the headphone out of the mixer?

Dave.
I have a laptop.
Headphones were in mixer originally. Now they r in audio interface. Could it be a cables issue? I'm running out of ideas! Thnx tho

Anyone else have any ideas about how to fix this situation? I've tried just about everything I can think of. I am using the audio interface, and not my soundcard at this point. Still white noise. I even unplugged my mic cable from the unit and still get white noise when I arm a track for recording.

I have a laptop.
Headphones were in mixer originally. Now they r in audio interface. Could it be a cables issue? I'm running out of ideas! Thnx tho

Yes but! (like drawing teeth this!) If you put them BACK into the mixer is the hiss on the cans then!

Cables cannot cause "hiss" hum maybe.

Dave.

Yes but! (like drawing teeth this!) If you put them BACK into the mixer is the hiss on the cans then!

Cables cannot cause "hiss" hum maybe.

Dave.

I just sent the headphones to the mixer (though it is unplugged from the wall and the computer) and I still have hiss. Not sure if that's exactly the scenario you described. Also, last night I took out the soundcard which I believe ruled out that it was a soundcard issue as I still have the horrible hiss.

I've adjusted sample rates at this point too to see if there was anything that might have been off. No luck.

Pursuant to the PM D!

Dave.

I brought in my laptop, in which I had installed Audacity and the drivers for my USB audio interface, plugged in the interface, recorded and still got white noise pushing past -12 db.

I brought in my laptop, in which I had installed Audacity and the drivers for my USB audio interface, plugged in the interface, recorded and still got white noise pushing past -12 db.

Then it really has to be a faulty interface IMO.

Dave.

Back