Where Can I Find Windows 7?

Doctor Varney

Cave dwelling Luddite
I have just purchased a licence for Windows 7 - but where's the OS? I've trawled the Microsoft download site for Windows 7 and it's not there. All I can find is Windows 8. Any ideas?

*ISO links removed*

Amazon links didn't work for me, but at least you know the file names now.

Last edited:
A .iso file is an image file of the windows installation CD.
Typically you'd burn that iso to a disk and it kinda 'unfolds' during that process.

Not what you want to hear but a mac will do this natively. I'm no windows buff but I think you'd need burning software do do it from XP.
Try here.
I removed those links just incase there's any problem, although I think they're all legit manufacturers/retail sites.

I hope win7 works out for you. Be sure to back up important data. ;)

The isorecorder thing that Steeno linked will work for what you need. The Win7 iso file is probably a DVD and not a CD, so be sure to burn it it to a DVD.

And here is a link to ALL the iso files for Win7. Be sure to pick the correct one or your key won't work. Found that out the hard way. (Okay, it wasn't hard, but took forever to download the iso file only to find out it didn't work with the key I had.)

Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads (The DigitalRiver site is a Microsoft site.)

Yep as said above ISO is an image file, imagine it like a zip file (compressed files) that will expand onto a DVD. There are lots of good iso burners I personally like IMGBurn. very minimalistic The Official ImgBurn Website

Basically open your burn software (imgburn or other) there will be an "open" or "select iso" type box. Click it and browse to your downloaded iso, then pretty much just hit burn. It might ask if you want to verify, it's not a bad idea (checks the burn after completion). Good luck

Thanks. I downloaded an ISO burner application and placed in a DVD but it seems my CD/DVD drive isn't working. :mad:

It just keeps making a churning sound and then Windows locks up.

Try a different disc just incase.
Usually if that happens the drive can't read the disc for whatever reason.

If no joy I'd just burn the thing from a different computer, if possible.

I will... try these suggestions tomorrow. I suppose one thing you can always say is, I never give up. I may scream blue murder from time to time but never give up. No shiny Mac for me around the nearest corner, so I'll make do with what I have - for now. I'll bring this machine up to spec and make it work for me somehow, until things improve financially.

Finally got Windows 7 installed and working. It's smooth, looks nice and all that. But only after a VERY long fight and lots and lots of really tedious downtime. I am absolutely shattered and hate the thing already. Urk! Well, working, that is, minus a DVD/CD-RW drive. I have two spare and neither want to work with this machine. If these things had any reselling value at all, I'd consider selling the whole lot just to get an iPad - but of course, no one wants to pay much these days for second hand shitty PCs.

The good news is that windows 7 is fairly stable and a decent OS to use once it's all setup. So hopefully just a few more painful hours and you can settle into it. Just shout if you have more questions, lots of smart people on this forum.

Thanks, Polarity - that's really cool of you. I've come this far, I'm not turning back. I'm told I have something that should see me through the next five years but I am going to just make the best of it and start planning alternatives for the future. There are indeed a lot of smart minds on this forum and I'm grateful for their help.

Back