What's next and how

Flash

Now that I have the Delta 1010, what's next and how would you set it up? Originally, I wanted to get the Mackey 1604 vlz mixer. I thought with that, I would have the mics and everything plugged into the mixer and go from the 8 direct outs on the mixer, to the 8 ins on the Delta 1010 for recording live also. Does this sound like a good set up to you? Any pros or cons or help you can advise for me would help. I don't want to spend $900 for the Mackie and find out I made a bad decision........Thanks

Take this from a non-computer recordist:...

It sounds like a perfectly fine idea, that makes sense.

What's more, is that there are 4 "subgroups" on the 1604vlz, (or "busses" as they're known in Tascam-land),... that you could group any number of mic/line feeds into [1-4] subgroups, and then feed to your 1010.

That's to say, you don't always have to use the Direct-Outs of the channels,... the Subgroup-Outs may be used, which would enable you to get a bit more elaborate of a front-end mix to the 1010.

Direct-Out is just the simplest and lowest-common-denominator type of patch available. Subgroup-Out gives you a bit more power in the mix. ;)

Thanks..... I wasn't even thinking that far ahead. That sounds really cool. I was wondering how I was going to make it all come together and you just put the lights on for me. If I had 3 vocal mics, 3 guitars that only left 2 other direct outs. I see your point about sub-groups or buses. I was wondering how I was going to mic the drums, now I know. Thanks for the response. I guess that's why they call it a 1604. Just to ask though, say I had 6 mics on the drums on channels 1-6 on the Mackie. I can then tell them some how, that they all go to bus or "sub-group" 1 and then go from sub-group 1 output to input 1 on the Delta 1010? If I am right on my thinking there, that's exactly what I want. That's so cool.

Any number of combinations,...

but yes,... in general.

You could group several mics together into subgroups, and use subgroups in combination with direct-outs. ;)

Back