Whats a good interface to use with Cakewalks Home Studio?

volcano_lance

I went with what you guys suggested, and am working backwards!
I chose Home Studio because it looked simple, has unlimited recording tracks, is cheap, and...well, i guess thats it.
I'm going to be recording my band.
Drummer, Bassist, Guitarist (me), singer, and sometimes a Rhodes piano/keyboard/organ thinger.
Anyway, what would be a good interface?
Thanx

vl

volcano_lance said:
I went with what you guys suggested, and am working backwards!
I chose Home Studio because it looked simple, has unlimited recording tracks, is cheap, and...well, i guess thats it.
I'm going to be recording my band.
Drummer, Bassist, Guitarist (me), singer, and sometimes a Rhodes piano/keyboard/organ thinger.
Anyway, what would be a good interface?
Thanx

vl

You can’t really use Home Studio to record live drums because, according to Cakewalk’s website, it can only access one stereo input and output at a time. You’re going to want at least four inputs to do drums, if not eight. With four inputs, you can have two overheads, a mic on the snare, and a mic on the kick. If you want to mic the toms you’re going to need 6-8 inputs.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Maybe if you explain your situation to someone at Cakewalk, they’ll give you a credit so that you can get Sonar. Even Guitar Tracks Pro will let you use multi channel sound cards, but you are limited to 16 effects with GTP.

When you do get your software situation straightened out, I’d recommend one of the M-Audio interfaces. If you need 4 channels, get the Delta 44. If you need 8, get the Delta 1010. They’ve worked very reliably for me.

Re: Re: Whats a good interface to use with Cakewalks Home Studio?

cominginsecond said:
You can’t really use Home Studio to record live drums because, according to Cakewalk’s website, it can only access one stereo input and output at a time. You’re going to want at least four inputs to do drums, if not eight. With four inputs, you can have two overheads, a mic on the snare, and a mic on the kick. If you want to mic the toms you’re going to need 6-8 inputs.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Maybe if you explain your situation to someone at Cakewalk, they’ll give you a credit so that you can get Sonar. Even Guitar Tracks Pro will let you use multi channel sound cards, but you are limited to 16 effects with GTP.

When you do get your software situation straightened out, I’d recommend one of the M-Audio interfaces. If you need 4 channels, get the Delta 44. If you need 8, get the Delta 1010. They’ve worked very reliably for me.
Well, I'm sure glad someone steered me on the right path! Thank you friend!
I was looking at Sonar. I guess thats what I'm gonna go with then.
I was definately looking at the Delta stuff. Thanx for the input.
vl

Back