What's the best way to set this up...

TimLyons

Hey everyone, I just got a shiny new POD that I'm using to record with my computer, but the sound is muffled/muddy - not very clear. I was wondering what the best way to set up the gear I have is (or if I need to get some new stuff). Right now, here's how I have it set up:

Guitar-->Pod--(left/right outputs)-->BBE Sonic Maximizer--(not ON, just there as sort of something to allow me to plug in to the line in of my soundcard)-->line in

Now here's all of what I have to record with, including my entire computer audio system:

Les Paul Special SL
Kramer Focus
POD 2.0
BBE Sonic Maximizer 264
Aztech sound card (came with the computer, it records at 44.1 KHz, 16 bit I believe, if I remember right)
Altec Lansing ACS43 speakers plus Subwoofer
Pentuim 2 400 MHz processor, 256 MB RAM, 52 GB hard drive space...

I've heard I should get a mixer and that would fix my problem. But, is there any way to get it to NOT sound muddy without running out and buying a bunch of stuff?

Guitar-->Pod--(left/right outputs)-->BBE Sonic Maximizer--(not ON, just there as sort of something to allow me to plug in to the line in of my soundcard)-->line in

??? Why plug the POD through the BBE, especially if you're not using it? Seems strange to me. You're using it as a big adapter? You can get cables that have two mono 1/4" plugs on one end and the single typical 1/8" stereo plug that most soundcards take on the other end.

If the sound is muffled/muddy, it might be because the gain on the Line In of the soundcard is too low. Do you know how to adjust that? If not, Cakewalk has a good article on using the Windows mixer utility at http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Lessons/WindowsMixer.htm

Another possibility is that you are plugged into the card's Mic In, which has a preamp that could be adversely affecting the line level signal coming in.

I've heard I should get a mixer and that would fix my problem.
No reason for that. The POD's output is line level. A mixer is useful for many things but not necessary for what you are trying to do. You should be able to get good recordings if the levels are right on the soundcard's inputs.

TimLyons said:
Hey everyone, I just got a shiny new POD that I'm using to record with my computer, but the sound is muffled/muddy - not very clear. I was wondering what the best way to set up the gear I have is (or if I need to get some new stuff). Right now, here's how I have it set up:

Now here's all of what I have to record with, including my entire computer audio system:

Les Paul Special SL
Kramer Focus
POD 2.0
BBE Sonic Maximizer 264
Aztech sound card (came with the computer, it records at 44.1 KHz, 16 bit I believe, if I remember right)
Altec Lansing ACS43 speakers plus Subwoofer
Pentuim 2 400 MHz processor, 256 MB RAM, 52 GB hard drive space...

I've heard I should get a mixer and that would fix my problem. But, is there any way to get it to NOT sound muddy without running out and buying a bunch of stuff?

Well, I actually use the BBE when I record vocals... anyway, I keep the Windows mixer set at just below clipping level, usually. With the RP200 this was down at almost nothing, with the POD it's at almost half.

you will get the best/clearest sound possible by going STRAIGHT from the POD into the soundcards LineIn.......

Back