Whats the best PC set-up for Cubase 5?

purefunproducti

Been a Cubase user since they started. Just upgraded to Cubase 5. Its a great system but I have a single core computer 3.0 Ghz w/2 Gig Ram but the program doesnt run worth a damn.

Steinberg says to use a dual core. If I upgrade my computer I want to get it right the first time.

Anyone KNOW the best operating system to use?
XP Pro x64?
DDR2 or DDR3 Ram?
I'm guessing a Quad core.

Will all my other programs run if I go to a 64 bit system?

Anyone else at this juncture?

Been a Cubase user since they started. Just upgraded to Cubase 5. Its a great system but I have a single core computer 3.0 Ghz w/2 Gig Ram but the program doesnt run worth a damn.

Steinberg says to use a dual core. If I upgrade my computer I want to get it right the first time.

Anyone KNOW the best operating system to use?
XP Pro x64?
DDR2 or DDR3 Ram?
I'm guessing a Quad core.

Will all my other programs run if I go to a 64 bit system?

Anyone else at this juncture?

I know that Cubase5 runs on vista 64bit, but not sure about XP. I would stick with an Intel Quad Core, and DDR2 or DDR3 ram, start with 4GB and work from there. Make sure you purchase a motherboard with a fast front side bus (FSB) of 1333Mhz minimum. Run a PCI express video card as it has it's own dedicated bus, and will help lighten the load on your motherboard, and processor. Keep the machine off the internet, and don't install any non-essential software, or anti-virus programs that hog a lot of resources, such as Symantec Norton Antivirus, McAfee.

Don't forget a firewire card if you need one, and a reliable CD-R/DVD-R drive :)

Those are my suggestions!

Cubase 5 is not yet officially supported in xp64, though that's not to say it won't work in xp64. Your best bet at this time might be to run xp32 and when you can get a hold of it upgrade to windows 7. I'm sure it'll be fully supported come the october release. I run cubase 5 in xp64 with nearly no problems. (A few VST's are a little slow) I'm running a quad core AMD for mixing... but for tracking cubase 5 works perfectly fine on an old 1.25 ghz mac g4 laptop that I've got lying around.

Back