What's the best $150 to $250 firewire or usb recording interface?

randumbdots...

Hi. I posted earlier this week, but I think I didn't do a great job of explaining what I'm trying for. Since I'm on my own, what I mainly need is just 2 or 4 in and 2 out interface to my computer and a good mic (eventually a compressor - I have a Nanocompressor that I probably won't use). I'll mainly be recording vocals (acapellas for mixes/mashups) and a bit of guitar/sequenced keys. After reading a lot, I'm considering the following firewire or USB interfaces that have xlr mic inputs with phantom power:
- Tascam US-122 - I'd choose this one I think if there weren't so many people talking about problems - it's 4 in / 2 out I think, including xlr inputs with decent mic pres, plus it has midi I/O -also now comes bundled with Cubase LE 3.0, which would probably meet my initial SW needs (& save me $) -this one costs $200, but like I said I get the software too
- M-Audio FireWire Solo plus an inexpensive USB midi interface - for the same price as the Tascam it provides a couple more input channels (that I'd rarely use, but nice to have for the future) - including the midi this solution will cost around $230 maybe -
- M-Audio Mobile Pre plus an inexpensive USB midi interface - this one's actually $150 - not sure about sound quality though - including the midi, this solution will cost around $170
- Edirol UA-25 USB Audio and MIDI Interface - this one has similar specs to the Tascam, but it's more like $240 (but it does include MIDI - no software bonus like the Tascam that I can tell, though). I guess it also has a built-in limiter, but I'm not sure how well it will work.
- I'm sure there are others

Does anyone have any comments on the mic pre quality on these? I would like them to be as quiet and neutral as possible. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Tascam, despite the instability risk, because I've heard the mic pres aren't bad, and the inclusion of Cubase LE is a bonus for me.

As far as mics, I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting either a Marshall MXLV67 or a Studio Projects B1.

Thanks.
...dots...

i actually have a mobilepre and like it a lot, although i am considering selling it to get another m-audio card (the delta pci card), so if this turns out to be up your alley, i might be able to part with it for $125. but it's a nice device for basic home recording. i think i get good quality out of it when i'm mic'ing, but i have no point of reference to compare (other than direct recording, which i've never been happy with). the phantom power thing is neat, although i only own a dynamic mic at the moment. i like being able to monitor the sound through the hardware. and it works well with the software i use (audition). let me know if you have any other questions. good luck

Firewire Solo - MXL V67G

I really love the Firewire solo. Beautiful clear sound when using Sonar and Adobe Audition (and even Windows media player). To me, the pres are as good as any neutral sounding ones like Mackies when using the V67G. The M-Audio F Solo replaced my Soundcraft M12, which I loved as well. But I downgraded because I'm tired of all the big space-taking gear I used to have.

Right now, all I have is a couple of Yamaha MSP monitors and this Firewire solo on top of a Kawai digital piano - sq. footage down to minimum. I couldn't be happier. :)

Another Option

I have the M-audio Omnistudio USB currently. It's pretty remarkable for 200 dollars IMO, and has 2 headphone outputs which have come in handy. The pres are not extraordinary, but not useless at all (depending on your goals of course.) Some of the controls are also handy if you do not have a mixer, like the monitor level knob. It allows you to adjust the volume going to the speakers, which is handy if your monitors' volume controls are hard to reach, and you don't want to deal with a software mixer all the time. The "enable" buttons also make it quick to cut signal from mics, without having to adjust the gain etc, so you can do playback without feedback. It has 2 mic pres, and a couple line level inputs. It also has midi.

Back