What is your favorite USB/Firewire Interface?

What's your favorite budget portable audio interface?

• PreSonus Firebox

Votes: 123 30.3%
  • M-Audio 410

Votes: 44 10.8%
  • Digidesign MBox

Votes: 34 8.4%
  • Focusrite Saffire

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • Edirol UA25

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • Mackie Spike

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 153 37.7%

• Total voters
ill go 1st. As far as the interface isself, i like the firepod more than the mbox as i have used both. The software bundled is a diff story, but i like my firepod. Pres are a lot higher quality than i expected, and having everything in your face helps.

Also, if u plan on recording drums, the 8 mic pres helps out!

Matt

I use the Firebox and for $299 it's a steal. First class mic pre's and two line inputs with 6 outs - not counting the (almost) useless SPDIF I/O - give me every thing I need. If I need to mic a drum kit I use an external mixer and patch it in thru the line inputs.

ssscientist said:
I use the Firebox and for $299 it's a steal. First class mic pre's and two line inputs with 6 outs - not counting the (almost) useless SPDIF I/O - give me every thing I need. If I need to mic a drum kit I use an external mixer and patch it in thru the line inputs.

Just curious, why is the SPDIF I/O useless? Is it one of those deals where it's either digital or analog i/o but not both?

I think Mackie might be taking over that market now with the release of the 400f. I just don't see anything being able to compete with that in the lower price bracket.

Onyx 400F

The Mackie 400F is a little more expensive than the firepod, I'm glad this purchase was relatively inexpensive (699). Even if they drop the price later to match the Presonus firepod I can rest assured The Onyx Pres and 24-bit/192kHz AKM 5385 and 4358 audio converters are worth the extra 100 Bucks. That is assuming I don't run into the same type of problems the Spike users have encountered.

I realize the 400F is hard to find. However, I just picked one up.

Dobs

Dobs said:
The Mackie 400F is a little more expensive than the firepod, I'm glad this purchase was relatively inexpensive (699). Even if they drop the price later to match the Presonus firepod I can rest assured The Onyx Pres and 24-bit/192kHz AKM 5385 and 4358 audio converters are worth the extra 100 Bucks. That is assuming I don't run into the same type of problems the Spike users have encountered.

I realize the 400F is hard to find. However, I just picked one up.

Dobs

Whoa! You have a 400F in your posession right now? Where did you buy it from?
I had all but given up hope on Mackie releasing this thing.

400F available

Yeah, I got it at a local Guitar Center store. I got the only one. Just get your feelers out there and be ready to jump when you find one.

Good luck,
Dobs

I'm trying to decide now between a M-Audio 410 and the Firebox. They seem fairly similar. I'm surprised that the 410 has gotten no votes, but maybe nobody's using them at the moment.

Voted Other Here:

I use an RME Fireface, WOW! Before that I had used a Firepod, which is a great unit, and also a Tascam 1804, also a great unit, but I had some problems with the driver stability at times. RME has been amazing however in comparison, both with drivers and sound conversion.

BTW Amonte: I would go with a Firebox over the 410 probably. I think with the 410 you can only use 2 analog ins at once, and the Firebox you can use 4.

cawhite12 said:
Voted Other Here:

I use an RME Fireface, WOW! Before that I had used a Firepod, which is a great unit, and also a Tascam 1804, also a great unit, but I had some problems with the driver stability at times. RME has been amazing however in comparison, both with drivers and sound conversion.

BTW Amonte: I would go with a Firebox over the 410 probably. I think with the 410 you can only use 2 analog ins at once, and the Firebox you can use 4.

Damn, you're right! There's actually only two analog ins - you can use either the XLR inputs or the 1/4" on the back.

Well, that makes it a pretty easy decision!

I'm gonna go with my MOTU 828. It's the first one, not the MKII, so its missing a couple things that would be very nice to have, like being able to monitor ALL the channels without latency instead of just 2. But hey, $350 for 8 analog ins with 2 preamps, plus lightpipe and S/PDIF; I can't complain! I love this thing! :D

I've been using a Motu 828mkII for the past five months (on a PC Windows laptop) and have not regretted spending every penny for it.

Zero problems.

(BTW: "almost useless" S/PDIF???? I have a TCElectronicsM300 effects box hanging off my S/PDIF ports on my 828..... not useless at all!!!

Back