What is your favorite USB/Firewire Interface?

What's your favorite budget portable audio interface?

• PreSonus Firebox

Votes: 123 30.3%
  • M-Audio 410

Votes: 44 10.8%
  • Digidesign MBox

Votes: 34 8.4%
  • Focusrite Saffire

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • Edirol UA25

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • Mackie Spike

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 153 37.7%

• Total voters
me 2

lurgan liar said:
I just bought the Rme Fireface 800 ..haven't got it yet but i can't wait ....apparently the convertors are amazin :D

Mine is coming too. I don't see using it as a portable though. I am putting it into my studio rack.

jaykeMURD said:
MOTU 8pre, the new unit MOTU just popped out. It's sweet, and only 50 bucks more that the Firepod....which is absolutley worth it.

I have two of 'em and a FIREPOD. Selling the FIREPOD after Christmas when I have more free time.

I currently have the Alesis 8usb mixer, saving up to get a Tascam firewire that can send multiple track.

this is probably a dumb question, but with the Firepod (which i am very interested in purchasing) they only have in/outputs for 1/4 inputs.

i've always understood that using a mic cable adaptor (XLR --> 1/4) causes you to lose signal. is that true? if you have mic cables with XLR inputs and you're miking everything with these cables will the sound suffer, or have i been completely misinformed?

carlosbeans said:
this is probably a dumb question, but with the Firepod (which i am very interested in purchasing) they only have in/outputs for 1/4 inputs.

i've always understood that using a mic cable adaptor (XLR --> 1/4) causes you to lose signal. is that true? if you have mic cables with XLR inputs and you're miking everything with these cables will the sound suffer, or have i been completely misinformed?

They are actually both. The xlr and 1/4 are one in the same!

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/mmMBCOM/images/PRESONUS/PRESONUS_FIREPOD_FRONT.jpg

Is there an issue regarding using Phantom power and the quality of recording with the Presonus Firebox? (That is the one I am leaning towards...) I have a Dell 1705 with Sonar 5 PE any other recommendations........

I've used an Onyx 400F and a Firepod. The 400F has a bit more detail to it...The Firepod is a little cloudy unless you're in a well-treated room. I dunno if the 400F is worth the extra money though.

I have a Compaq Evo 800c laptop with 1 PCMCIA slot. Can I install a Firewire card into this slot? If so, are all these cards the same or are some better than others? Thanks.

I found the answer, it has to be able to support 32bits. My computer does so I ordered a Firebox. I had a E-MU 1616m for about a day and could not get it to work.

Back