What is wrong!!

ecktronic

Mixing and Mastering.
Right, i cant seem to record into my computer. I have tried recording with Wavelab but when I play back the recording it is at a different speed and sounds totally nasty.
I also cant get the Cubase or Pro tools demos to work even after changing my buffer speed in the options. When i play a track in both of these programmes it plays for a few seconds then stops, and the play back isnt smooth either.

Any ideas to what is wrong?
Could it be my soundcard? I dont think it is that great.

could be your soundcard. the wavelab problem sounds like your sampling rate is set up wrong. check that first.

i had this problem once with my tascam us122. it was totally bizarre, it seemed like the tempo was way slower and the pitch was a bit lower too. Unfortunatley i have no idea why it did that or if i even fixed the problem.

Cheers guys. The thing I forgot to mention is that when i record automation on Wavelab the recording is flawless. By recording automation I mean I am playing a wave in the wave editor and then on the master section changing one of the variables on an effect so i am controling a variable of the effect whilst recording, so the output is the original wave with the effect automation printed on it. (comprende?, sorry find it hard to explain stuff like this sometimes)
So does this mean it is only my input or caould it be the soundcard also even though it can internally record fine.

Do you have Windows system sounds disabled? Sometimes they can cause the sample rate of a sound card to change.

The sounds were already disabled anyway.
Still not working to record into Wavelab. Sounds jerky and distorted even though it never peaked on the way in.
What about the recording buffer size in that menu of Wavelab? Could i change those settings. Dont really want to change stuff without knowing what im doing though.

I'll try to help

please post your system specs (go into as much detail as you can)
harddrive type and speed.
your soundcard model.
which audio drivers wavelab is using to communicate with your soundcard(mme, wmd, asio...)
does other software play without problems?
do you know what sample rate your soundcard is set at?

Aaron

Ok i dont really know my system specs. How could I find out what they are?
I aint very good with the technical side of computers.

I can listen to tunes on Windows media player etc fine, but if i listen to a CD it has little crackles in the sound. Could be nothing to do with my problem though.
No problems except that I cant get a normal recording into my computer.

I don't think anyone is going to have a magic bullet for you....

ecktronic said:
Ok i dont really know my system specs. How could I find out what they are?
I aint very good with the technical side of computers.

I can listen to tunes on Windows media player etc fine, but if i listen to a CD it has little crackles in the sound. Could be nothing to do with my problem though.
No problems except that I cant get a normal recording into my computer.

This may seem such a simple thing to you, but there are hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of little things that could affect it. from 'is your cd wired directly to you soundcard' or does windows handle it through the system bus? to what glue chipset are you using, intel, via, sis, nvidia, etc?

I would love to come to scotland to help you, It has been a long time since I have been there. but.....at this time......not good.

so...my best advice is that you have an excellent university in your town and I think it has a world recognized computer department (primarily in AI), that means to me that you probably have a computer users group. Join it, take your computer, and with no more than two or three back and forths you will probably have your problem fixed for little or no money, and maybe make some good contacts. geeks are usually in awe of anyone with physical skills (like playing an instrument) and if you are female, or can bring one, its like geeknip.

You could take it to a computer repair place but most of them don't know jack about computer recording or software.

good luck.

Woahh [as his jaw drops]. It cant be that complicated... can it? The answer I was hoping for was that my soundcard wasnt good enough.

Could this be the problem below? sorry if i seem a little thick in the computer world!
CONTROL PANEL - SOUNDS AND MULTI MEDIA - DEVICES - LINE INPUT DEVICES - PROPERTIES - (messsage) "There are no devices of this class installed in your system"

Cant seem to find what my souncard is. Where do you get this info. from computer?

Back