What tools to use for a MAC based desktop digital studio?

Mike Bender

I have experimented with linux and win without success.
I am wanting feedback about successful OSX studio combos.
Such as what keyboards work well with what DAWS. What interfaces work well with the DAWs.

Also, suggested hardware ratings for a mac desktop. Drive speed, processor, memory.

For what I want to accomplish:
to create live 'improvised' overdub loops
to compose sketched out 'idea' based pieces using track by track record and playback.
use several inputs solo or simultaneously such as ipad, midi keyboards, live electric instruments, microphone.
use popular soft synths known to be compatible with daw, keyboards, os, and soundcard.

My budget is not aimed towards the cheapest gear. I can usually afford 1-2 rungs up from the cheapest.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks for reading.

There are a number of DAWs that will run on OSX. I use Logic Pro X; I like it but I've never used anything else. There are a lot of Reaper users around here and it is available for OSX.

Get as much RAM as you can afford. My iMac has 8GB and is usable but I wish I had 16 GB. If you are going to be using samples get a fast external disk drive or SSD.

Just about any interface is going to work with any DAW as long as it is supported by the OS. Your main consideration is going to be how many inputs and outputs you need for what you want to do.

iMac or better with 8GB or more, I use a OWC mercury elite pro external HD to record audio too.
I've used motu 828mk3 (firewire version) successfully for years, I think they have a thunderbolt or usb version out now. Tried focusrite without problems and wouldn't be afraid to try Native instruments interface either.

With keyboards (assuming your main aim is triggering virtual instruments) I went with a casio privia px-130 because it has a realistic piano feel and needs no driver (you just plug usb into computer). The other option is plugging into your interface if it has midi in/out and your keyboard has to have it also. Which I think this subject will come down to what your using it for. I Mean if you use the midi in/out your DAW or computer won't know the difference it's just midi, or if you decide to record sound from keyboard your interface won't know the difference it's just audio.

Regarding different software synths logic x has more than what I need, I've tried a few 3rd party ones and they worked well with logic x.

Back