What Size Monitor

ColdAsh

Should i spend the extra money and get a 19" monitor or would it be a better idea to buy a 17" and spend the money saved on a better CPU?

Hey

I live in Australia.

I say buy a 17" because 2" is not going to make much of a difference.

Spend money on a better CPU or more RAM

CYA

Tukkis

I was thinking that the extra 2" might give me more accuracy and id be able to fit more on because id be able to use a higher resolution.

I think the extra 2" makes a big difference. Like the difference between 15" and 17" monitors...

Id like to have 2 more inches.....uh...that didnt sound right.....

But if you have other issues with your system that directly affect sound quality, address them first.....

Gidge is right. If you have some extra money laying around...Then get the monitor...but spend first on equipment to better your sound.

I do a lot of audio along with a lot of graphics/animation stuff...so I got the 19 incher regardless. It does make a difference if you live on your puter like me......:)

This is an easy one.

GET THE 19" MONITOR.

That 2" is a HUGE difference. Especially if you are going to be running at resolutions of 1280 and up, which you will if you are doing recording.

Moreover, buy a GOOD 19" monitor. Spend a little more if you need to. Get one with a flat or most flat screen. LOOK at an identical model before you buy it. Check that images are sharp in the corners. There is always a little variation, even between identical models, but this is the best way to be sure to get what you want.

The monitor is your one constant connection to your PC. You want your "relationship" to be as clear and painless as possible. CPU prices are always cheapening, CPU upgrades are possible, but your monitor is something you will probably live with for awhile. Trust me on this.

We have no clue what other equipment he has or what he is intending to do with it......if hes recording digital audio with a 200 mhz AMD and a 2 gb 5400 rpm hard drive, that 19" will be nice and big for the 6 tracks he can record.....hell, maybe he should go for dual 19" monitors, 3 tracks on each:D

Ok, Im being an asshole but Im just emphasizing that we cant live our wishlists through other peoples budgets....find out more before you spend someone elses $$$$.....

Get the largest monitor that fits on your desk. However, it's better to get a good 17" than a crap 19". I like Nokia and Dell monitors and I think Samsung but don't take my word for that last one. High refresh rate is a must. Anything below 100Hz will wear your eyes down, just like the speakers I'm using for monitors at the moment.

Definitely much better sonic quality to a pieced mixed on a 19" monitor... The 17" just isn't loud enough and I wind up having to master with an expander/Limiter. :)

Personally i would say buy the largest monitor you can afford. The amount of info on screen in a DAW application such as Cubase, Logic or SONAR is huge and most serious users have a dual monitor setup.

I'm comfortable standing behind what I said. Yes, it is better to have a good 17" than a bad 19", but that's why you have to look at the monitor first. With an app like Cakewalk or Cubase you NEED to run at 1280x1024 or better and 17" just doesn't cut it at that resolution, in my opinion.

I use a 19" at work and have 19" monitor's on both my Cakewalk systems at home. The main "music" system has a fairly cheap 19" which I intend to replace ASAP. Opening the same Cakewalk screen on my better monitor is a big contrast. If I din't use that PC more often, the monitors would be reversed.

Like I said, CPUs are cheap, memory is cheap, doing a motherboard upgrade isn't a big deal. But people tend to stay with the same monitor for awhile. There are decent 19" monitors to be had for $300 if you hunt arround. If your eyes matter to you, invest in something that wont give you a brain ache. Its like monitor speakers - you can have a great PC, but if your monitor speakers are shit, it doesn't matter. Pay attention to the work-to-brain interface.

Thanks for the help
i think i will go with a 19" monitor, probably an LG does anyone know what sort of quaility LG monitors are?

Ah.... "Large"??

Seriously, I have not heard of LG. Which doen't mean much. The truth is that most monitors are made in the same few factories in Taiwan, then wholesaled to a zillion different companies. Only the big boys - Sony, Toshiba, IBM to name a few - really pay attention to what gets their name put on it. These cost more but usually have better quality and warrenty. The cheaper monitors, like cheaper guitars, tend to vary more widely from one to another.

Like I said, try to find a model with a flat or mostly flat screen. Most of these use the same Toshiba picture tubes. The alternative choice are sets that use the Sony Trinitron picture tube. These are vertically flat, have better brightness than most, and usually cost more. Downside of the Trinitron tube is that you get two faint left-to-right lines on the screen, shadows of the two support wires behind the shadow mask.

Make sure that where ever you buy it from has a "no questions" return policy, in case you open the box and wind up with a dog. Actually Best Buy and Circuit City are good places to get monitors, you can often find decent brands on sale for cheaper than mail order. And they don't quibble about returns.

Of mid-priced monitors, View Sonic are a good bet. My favorite home 19" is a "ProView", I picked it up at Circuit city on sale for $250 and have been very happy with it.

LG/Goldstar, one of the biggest electronic manufacturers on the planet :) Come on Rwhite, get with it! j/k

They make good products. I use to hate their CD-ROM's, but lately I've been buying LG CD-R/CD-RW's exclusively.

For other names to check out (I've never tired LG monitors, seen a few goldstars ages ago that I didn't like, but times change, I bet they are a decent screen) - philips, very nice monitors and cheap. KDS are ok. Viewsonic are ok. I'm on an ADI these days, 17", I don't like them much though. QA is questionable.

My choice would be on the cheap side:

Philips
Samsung
KDS
Viewsonic

Expensive side:

Hyundai
Sony
ADI
Mitsubishi

-----

Lotus
Ferrari
Maseratti
Porsche

Depends on your price range.

Damn guys, is anyone aware of how cheap 19" monitors are these days? There is NO REASON to get anything smaller than a 19 inch. Once you've been on a 19" for a while, those 17" monitors will look absolutely tiny...because they are. In fact, over time your 19" will start feeling cramped.

Get the biggest monitor you can afford. Cheap 19 inchers are between 150 and 200 dollars. Just make sure you get one that will do 1600x1200, even though you'll probably want to run it at 1280x1024. Oh, and make sure it'll do at least 75hz at 1280x1024. Dot pitch isn't terribly important, .24-.26 is standard. There are lots of other interesting statistics to consider when buying monitors, but nobody understands them, so it's fun to ask the salesperson to explain them all in detail.

Now, there are valid reasons to spend big bucks on a high quality
monitor...but only if you plan on doing precision graphics work. Otherwise, a cheap monitor is going to look just great. It's best to buy locally to a) avoid shipping b) SEE the monitor before you buy c) have the option to return the monitor if it goes sour.

Unfortunately, the jump up to 20 or 21 inches is considerable or I'd recommend one. Anyone who recommends a 17" over a 19" has monitor envy! :)

Slackmaster 2000

Back