What Size Monitor

A Flate screen will only save you room and it does not give off heat. Besides that there basiclly the same.

The big advantages of a flat CRT monitor are:

1) they only show reflections from items right in front of them, rather then reflecting from objects and light sources all over the room.

2) If they are decent, they will show a more accuate image in the corners (getting that right is the hardest part of manufacturering a flat tube)

3) Flat images just look better. What's easier, reading a piece of paper on a flat desk, or one wrapped arround a basketball?

There is no relevance to heat that I know of. Actually the first flat monitors by Zeneth used to function like space heaters, because they had power supplys 5 times heftier than normal. Any they looked great too! But that's ancient history now.

Of course flat LED monitors have no real heat. But my beef with them is they can't switch full-screen resolutions. You LED/LCD pixcels stay fixed, so if you buy one of these you are pretty much stuck at whatever resolution it is designed for. I like like to tinker with my screen res all the time - 1280 for Cakewalk or publishing, 1152 for web browsing, 1024 or 800 for digital photography.

I disagree somewhat with Slack, if you find a really cheapass 19" monitor you are likely to wind up with "ghosting" which is a faint double image on the screen. Tends to get worse as you go into higher resolutions. But like I said, check out the monitor first, and make sure it's returnable.

I know people who are using dual monitors, but I personally prefer one big-ass monitor to two medium size ones. And like Slack, I'm waiting for 21" monitors to come down in price. This will happen soon, as LED flat-screen monitors continue to come down in price, tube maunfacturers will try to hook us with bigger displays. Works for me!

Emeric, you're right, I should have recognised LG! I must be slipping in my old age ...

White, I didn't mean to imply that you can just go out and pick any old monitor...just that there are plenty of decent 19" monitors under $200.

Slackmaster 2000

Back