What recording/mixing software are you using?

What recording software are you using?

• Sound Forge

Votes: 62 5.9%
  • N-Track

Votes: 32 3.0%
  • Ableton Live

Votes: 65 6.2%
  • Sonar Studio

Votes: 46 4.4%
  • Sonar Producer

Votes: 163 15.5%
  • Pro Tools

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • Cubase

Votes: 271 25.8%
  • Tracktion

Votes: 25 2.4%
  • Digital Performer

Votes: 21 2.0%
  • Logic Pro

Votes: 87 8.3%
  • Image Line

Votes: 24 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 333 31.7%

• Total voters
n-Track Turns your computer into a multitrack music recording studio

Studio quality audio recording software

Record, edit, overdub your audio tracks
apply effects, process audio live input and mix
burn audio CDs or create mp3 files
available for Windows, Mac and iOS

I started with Twelvetone Cakewalk MIDI (only) Sequencer 2.0 on a DOS/ IBM 8088 back in 1991 or 1992, and have been using Cakewalk ever since. Currently running X1 Studio in the tracking room and X2 Essential on my mobile rig, with X2 Studio and Producer in shrinkwrap awaiting system stability and redundancy before installation.

I have copies of Ableton 8, ProTools SE, Cubase SE, and Audacity installed on the mobile, but except for using Audacity to export MP3s, I haven't explored them yet.

Okay I've been a12 tone systems Cakewalk fan for years ... Started with midi only and now run Sonar X2 and X1 Essentials...

My daughter is running a Mackie Onyx 1640 with firewire card and a dual core Athlon with 4 gig of RAM on windows 8 using sonar x1 essentials.. works flawlessly.
She runs a ton of plugins and seems fine...(mostly euro-beat/trance)

I'm running a Tascam 40 channel console with 5 t-dif cables to a MOTU 2408 (2 units).. the DAW is 16 gig Ram quad core Xeon class with 12 Mbytes of cache. Hard drives are 2 X 500 gig Western Digital optimized for audio/video.. Sonar X2 professional loaded up...runs perfect no issues..

hope this helps
GG

Is Magix Music Maker that bad to not be included in the list ? Been using it for two years and I think it's good enough for amateurs. Only these days that I have thought to upgrade my software to something professional like Sony ACID.

I expect some will look down on my choices; but...

I use Anvil Studio for MIDI composition/sequencing, and Bremmers Audio Design's MultiTrack Studio for all the audio mastering (with FX) and mixing. Yes, they are both 'free' downloads (for the basic 'lite' versions) and I've spent roughly $100USD on each to upgrade. I don't do any 'live' recording, it's all done with keyboards and MIDI modules, which makes things easier (for me anyway).

Depends on what I am recording

I realize this thread is primarily for musicians, but I do see a number of people mentioning Adobe Audition. AA is standard for a LOT of radio stations and voice-over types as it is simple and has the features we need, and not a lot more. Adobe keeps trying to make it better, but you would be amazed at how many folks will not give up 1.5 or 2.0.

I have mastered a CD of a 2000 pipe organ with it, mixed music with Franciscan Friars chanting, done countless talk shows and one hour Christmas (music) specials with it. But ask me to mix down a band and I am sunk!

Back