What are my limitations with this setup?

ALaz502

How many tracks with average of 2 plugins each will I be able to have recorded and playing at the same time in Cubase SX (provided that everything is set up correctly)with this setup? Dual Processor/Hyperthreading mode will be enabled in Cubase.

Pentium 2.8 w/ Hyperthreading
1 Gig PC3200 RAM @400mhz FSB
Maudio Delta 66.
Windows XP Pro

Just a ballpark figure will do, it doesn't have to be dead on.

You forgot to mention the hard drive. But if it's a regular 7200rpm, 8MB cache model..
You forgot to mention the desired sample rate as well.
Anyhow...
Dozens.

Whoops, sorry about that. I guess you can't give me an answer without all the info now, can you? :)

The hard drive is 7200 RPM 8mb cache 80gig Western Digital.

What would the limitations be if I did 44.1/24bit
What would they be if I did 96/24bit

Thanks.

also depends on the plugs used. reverbs are the most used and the most taxing on the CPU.
its best to use busses if applying the same effect on multiple tracks.

Alright, more specifics.

As far as reverbs go, I'm pretty much a dry track kinda guy. I'll MAYBE put one reverb on the snare drum, and one on the vocals.

Say I have one VST instrument with 7 stereo busses. One will have reverb.

the rest of the tracks would be:

2 Mono Guitar rhythm tracks panned left/right. (w Comp/EQ)
1 Stereo Guitar rhythm tracks down the middle. (w Comp/EQ)
1 Stereo Bass Guitar Track. (w Comp/EQ)
3/4 Stereo Lead Guitar tracks scattered throughout. (w all sent to a bus with eq/comp/delay/reverb)
2-3 Mono vocal tracks (w Comp/EQ/reverb)
3-4 Stereo synth or sample tracks scattered throughout.

Songs between 4-6 minutes long.

All of this at 96/24 bit

Will THAT be possible with that rig?

I have an almost identical setup to yours (I've got the Delta 44) and I would be very disappointed if it couldn't handle that number of tracks & plugins.

My current project has around 30 tracks, 20 something plugins at 44/16. Based on current cpu consumption, I would expect it to handle a similar load at 96/24 with ease

Wow, most excellent. Provided that my system will be set up correctly(which it will, I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to stability/performance) I will definitley be able to use this system for a long time to come then.

Thanks for your replies guys, this forum is definitley most helpful.

This is the reason I've turned some fellow home recording enthusiasts onto this forum and will continue to do so.

Back