What keyboard do you use?

:D

So how often do you have to wash it? :p

I made some custom platforms for my keyboard and trackball, that fit perfectly over the knobs/faders, and rest only on the metal part of the channel strips.
I can move them around to any part of the console or remove them completely when I'm mixing down...though usually for mixdowns I just move the keyboard & trackball over to the monitor section of the console, since I don't use that during mixdowns.

Just a wipe with a wet wipe now and then LOL, I have seen pics of your custom platform and it looks great, on my list of things to do, long list :rolleyes:

Alan

Just a wipe with a wet wipe now and then LOL, I have seen pics of your custom platform and it looks great, on my list of things to do, long list :rolleyes:

Alan

The hardest was the first one...just deciding on the size and then sourcing the wood so that I would have to do minimal cutting/trimming to make it all fit right....and it ended up being pretty simple. The legs were just precut molding strips, I just had to cut it into the pieces...and the top deck was a lauan, so I was able to cut that with a razor with a few passes....then a quick light sanding to remove any splintering (the lauan will splinter easy), and a quick light layer of semi-gloss poly spray just to give it a decent look and seal the wood a bit.

After that first one, which was for the keyboard...the others were easy...I had the system down. I knocked out one for my trackball mouse platform...and a couple others. I think I have enough wood left to do one more if I get motivated. :D

The thing that really made it work easy was the molding strips had exactly the right size for use as legs to fit in-between the knobs/buttons...and more importantly, just the right height so that the top deck cleared the knobs by 1/8"...so it kept things low, but off the knobs/faders.

You can certainly get fancier with the choice of wood and the finish...but these came out quite good considering I did them without using my table saw (it was winter time, and the saw is out in the detached, unheated shed) to make the long cuts. So all razor and hand-saw cuts. :)
Oh...and not a single nail or screw...it was all put together with wood glue...including the strips of felt on the bases of the legs, so they won't mare the console.

You know...you can take "most" keyboards...unplug them, and wash them...make sure they are 100% dry...and then plug them back in.
I've don't it many times at work when some idiot spills something on it, and they wanted a new on...I would just swap it, wash theirs, and to morrow give it back to them.

The last time I had a cat, I was sitting at my computer one day when he suddenly jumped up on the computer desk and barfed all over the keyboard. I guess he was trying to tell "Daddy" that he didn't feel good! Needless to say, I took the keyboard apart and washed it.

I've never had a non-washable keyboard survive washing after the inevitable coffee/tea/soda spill. It was always over after that.

True they don't need much cleaning, but when they do, it's nice that they survive it.

Back