What keyboard do you use?

inkline

Not what you might be thinking.. This is about computer keyboards not MIDI keyboards.

My keyboard is on the blink, so I am ready to shop for a new one.

I've seen some fine looking keyboards out there, some that look like typewriters, some that look like they have wooden keys, I'm thinking, maybe I shouldn't just go with the usual this time.

Anybody have any fine looking keyboards they like?

I'm currently using one of those Dell keyboards that looks like it was made to be a part of something larger, because it has no extra "margins" around its four sides. It also has a USB cord that plugs into the computer. But I've used wireless Logitech keyboards in the past; I just got tired of having to keep feeding it batteries, and it seemed like it would go wonky from lack of sufficient battery power at the worst possible times, such as playing an Elder Scrolls game. I have an unopened wireless Microsoft keyboard that I bought a few years ago but never used-- I actually bought it for the mouse that came with it-- and one of these days I'll probably open it up and start using it.

Yeah my current keyboard is one of those keyboard/mouse combos where I needed a mouse and got the keyboard with it as a spare.

Before that I had my favorite Logitech washable keyboard. Thought it'd last me for a very long time, but I bought it refurb, and it was refurb for a reason, the lights never worked right on it, and eventually the electronics gave out. If I can't find anything better I'll get one of these again though last I looked they were no longer in production I think they're still out there.

I compute too much to ever use one of those wireless things yup I agree.

I use a Dell keyboard...don't recall the model at the moment, and I don't feel like going to look....maybe later I'll post back the model.
It's a full keyboard with the right-side numeric pad...but it's very slim, I don't mean in thickness, but the overall dimensions. It's has only a very thin bezel, and there is no extra space between it and the keys...so very compact. Plus it's perfectly rectangular...none of that "shaped" nonsense anywhere.

I did some hunting to find it...because I didn't want a really large one with unnecessary wasted space, or with any of those extra special buttons-n-crap at the top. It just has the typical F keys and the regular full keyboard options. It's a wired USB keyboard.

This is link below is not the keyboard that I have...but mine is very similar looking to this in it's compact size and layout...but the other thing about it, is the feel of the keys. I wanted a specific kind of touch. Not sure what this one is like, but mine has that classic Dell feel I hate some of the new "soft" touch ones.
Mine is quiet, but the keys have a nice firm feel to them you know when you're typing on them...but it's still a fast keyboard.

Dell KB216 Wired Keyboard - 104 Keys, USB/Wired, Chiclet Style, Volume, Mute, Play/Pause, Backward, Forward Hot Key Functions, Black - 580-ADMT at TigerDirect.com

With it I use a wireless Logitech M570 Trackball.
I also have a Logitech wireless keyboard that's programmed for the same receiver as the Trackball, in case I need to be away from the computer, but still be able to do keyboard commands for the DAW...but I've never had to use it for that. Plus, the Logitech keyboard is almost 1.5 times the depth of my Dell...plus it has a built-in armrest...and wider bezel...so it's nowhere near as compact as the Dell.
That said...the Logitech M570 wireless Trackball is the best. I've been using Logitech Trackballs for almost 20 years now...and can work much better with them than any standard mouse...but they don't appeal to everyone, having to "thumb" the ball to move the cursor.
I have 3 of the M570 Trackballs...one for the DAW, one for the networked laptop in my studio...and one as a spare.

I have two LogicKeyboards customised keyboards - one for adobe premiere on one computer and one for cubase on another, and if they ever die, I will order another. I am hopeless at keyboard shortcuts or code keys - and having coloured keys for certain functions, with the labels on them is a real boon. I don't use all of them by all means, but they save me lots of brainwork. Functionally, they've been dropped and abused a fair bit and have been pretty tough too. I note they now do a smaller version too - I have the full sized ones.

Computer gaming enthusiasts have driven a surge in mechanical keyboards lately. They range from quiet to clicky depending on the switches used. I've got 2 of the Corsair Strafe with Cherry MX red switches, and I love them. They've just got a great feel to the key presses.

You can't go wrong with Logitech. Personnally I like one that can control my computer volume (when my audio interface is not plugged in).
If you want to control your daw remotly when you record, wireless could be good too.

I use a Dell keyboard...don't recall the model at the moment, and I don't feel like going to look....maybe later I'll post back the model.
It's a full keyboard with the right-side numeric pad...but it's very slim, I don't mean in thickness, but the overall dimensions. It's has only a very thin bezel, and there is no extra space between it and the keys...so very compact. Plus it's perfectly rectangular...none of that "shaped" nonsense anywhere.

I did some hunting to find it...because I didn't want a really large one with unnecessary wasted space, or with any of those extra special buttons-n-crap at the top. It just has the typical F keys and the regular full keyboard options. It's a wired USB keyboard.

It sounds like you might use the same model as mine-- L100:

dell l100 keyboard | eBay

And another Logitech it is.. ordered another washable today. Hope it holds out longer than 2 years, but then it'll likely see a lot of use. Quiet and easy to clean, and somewhat good looking, it'll do.

I work with the lights off mostly so my keyboard is backlit. Don't know the brand name, but something to consider.

I work with the lights off mostly so my keyboard is backlit. Don't know the brand name, but something to consider.

I used to do that, but now that I'm older I can feel the eye strain you get from it, it's a real thing, the bright monitor vs. the dark room forces the eyes to to adjust both ways -- so I keep a light on behind the monitor at night.

Do like the looks of some of the lit keyboards. I was looking at mechanical keyswitch keyboards for a bit but even the quiet ones aren't really that quiet. I used to type on an old IBM clicky-click in college, made you feel very accomplished I admit. That keyboard might still work today if it weren't thrown away.

It sounds like you might use the same model as mine-- L100:

dell l100 keyboard | eBay

No, mine is the Dell SK-8175...it has straight lines all the way around...not the protrusions like the L100 has.
That's what I liked about it, and was after...a keyboard that has straight edges all the way around so you can easily put it up against other stuff.
I hate the keyboards that have some weird "bump" or wavy curve crap...they never sit neatly against other equipment. :)

Here is the one I have:

Dell Keyboard Original model SK-8175 Slim USB Black DP/N 0T347F New in Box | eBay

I think I may grab another one from this seller...he's got 4 of them. :D

Had loads over the years. Caveat Emptor re the "hi viz" kbd. I have the failing minces and a few years ago bought two "Zennox" Large Font kbds. Took me a while but then realized, no '\' key! Not something you need a lot but when you do, you do! (has the / key) .

Had a couple of 15 quid PCWorld wireless jobbies. Ok. Mouse eats battery once a month but the AAs in the kbd lasted a good year.

For my living room computer (Radio 3, hosts printer/scanner) I use a Microsoft combined kb and trackpad. Wireless and the two AAAs have been in it since Jan 17. Usefully it has an on/off switch. Un usefully, no Prnt Scrn! (is there another shortcut for that?)

Dave.

I have an imitation apple lookalike keyboard that is for PC, love the small size and the soft keys. I usually have it sitting on the mixing console, it does not take up much room and the flat plastic base does not damage the console. These things are pretty cheap and mine has lasted for many years so far.

Like this:

keyboard copy.jpg

P.S. they do make a wireless version as well but I like the cord due to a wireless keyboard loosing connection one day and wiping a track we were dropping in on.

Here are the refurb washables, 10 left as of today.

They're a nice quiet keyboard, easy to clean. I wasn't so big a bargainer and just got a dollar off. :)

:D

So how often do you have to wash it? :p

You know...you can take "most" keyboards...unplug them, and wash them...make sure they are 100% dry...and then plug them back in.
I've don't it many times at work when some idiot spills something on it, and they wanted a new on...I would just swap it, wash theirs, and to morrow give it back to them.

The ones in my studio never need to be washed.

I usually have it sitting on the mixing console, it does not take up much room and the flat plastic base does not damage the console.

I made some custom platforms for my keyboard and trackball, that fit perfectly over the knobs/faders, and rest only on the metal part of the channel strips.
I can move them around to any part of the console or remove them completely when I'm mixing down...though usually for mixdowns I just move the keyboard & trackball over to the monitor section of the console, since I don't use that during mixdowns.

"We" found that even when using a wireless mous and kbd you could still leave the wired jobbies plugged in so, " they do make a wireless version as well but I like the cord due to a wireless keyboard loosing connection one day and wiping a track we were dropping in on."

The above probably would not happen since there would never be a "mouseless" condition?

Dave.

Back