What interphase/software do you use? Is it working out for you? recommended or not?

Manor Music

What are you using to record with?
I am looking to replace my older DigiDesign 002 rack -
it's like a hundred years old?
and it will run on an old computer with Windows 7

I am getting opinions on a new rack interphase..
thinking the firewire is not the way to go anymore?

Hey,
A couple of questions.
Why do you want to replace the 002? What has changed?
Can we assume you're a ProTools user? What version?
What are your requirements from a new interface? Number and type of I/O, etc.

I wouldn't necessarily say firewire isn't the way to go.
If you have a firewire capable computer then it's a viable option just like any other.

here is the deal
We use ProTools LE8 (I think)
10 ft firewire cord to reach computer (we keep computer in it's own enclosure not in the same room to keep noise out).

We get a dozen or so tracks going then warnings start popping up...closing and rebooting the program is necessary to move ahead..(ERROR MESSAGE)

I need 8ins to get the drums and I am good 2 go
not looking to step down in quality...budget 500 more or less

I believe we partitioned the hard drive and the material goes on that NEW PARTITION E, separate from the partition for Windows 7 PARTITION D...

I believe we partitioned the hard drive and the material goes on that NEW PARTITION E, separate from the partition for Windows 7 PARTITION D...

I agree with the above. Those errors are more likely to be related to your computer hardware, or even just your general OS 'health'.
A new partition is not the same as a separate drive, so there's physical advantage to using one.

One hard drive has one arm that can read from one point at the disc at any given time.
When you have two drives you have one arm moving about doing all the system crap and a completely separate one for your audio work.
When you partition you're still limited by the hardware.

The above doesn't apply to SSDs which have no moving parts. Those bad boys are like lightening!

I'd recommend moving your session to a FW or USB 2/3 hdd and seeing what happens.
If that works either run your sessions from there permanently, or switch your system drive for an SSD.

FYI, PT8LE is starting to show its age. It's the last PT version (excluding mpowered etc) which requires you to own a Digidesign/Avid interface.
If you stick with PT8 you're limited to digi 002/003, the mbox range, and maybe some others.

I don't expect you need to upgrade your interface at all but, if you choose to, upgrade to PT9 or some other DAW first.
That'll really open up the interface market for you.

Yes. Just make sure to get one that is 7200RPM or greater. The cheap typical storage drives can be 5200RPM.

Cheapest is to just buy a drive case and install a HDD into it. Mine are both $60 1TB barracudas in $28 USB 3 cases. The prices may be different now, but there is no need to buy a backup drive with software and crap. Just stick a drive in a case and someone is your uncle. Bob? IDK. lol

I would not recommend streaming audio to a USB drive; especially if you have other devices on the same hub. Data transfer protocol is governed by the cpu and not by the usb hub (unlike FW which controls itself). Take BSG's advice and install a 2nd hard drive in your computer. Stream all your audio to that. Good to go.

Jimmy is talking about USB3.0 which is probably okay. But you've got an old computer, only USB 2.0, most likely.

Back