What eats up a lot of your DAW RAM?

What in your recording/mixing etc. process is the most carnivorous bit?

And how much RAM do you really use? (Get that Resource Monitor going......) :cool:

Hi,
Virtual instruments with sample libraries are likely to be the big hitters.

I don't think I've ever saturated 8gb (all in) on either computer.
My machines have 12 + 16.

yea, I have 8G and don't think I've ever saturated mine either...but I guess I'd have to say plugins/sends

I'd think how much ram you use really depends on what you're running....

Without any fancy bench marks, but just from my own experience of DAW usages as a home studio hobbyist...with my single quad core Win XP machine, I could run most of my projects fine, with the installed 4 GB ram. But when I really started doing projects using a lot more VSTi's, things started getting bogged down, and strange things happened (like my various audio and midi tracks started going out of sync from each other, etc). So my answer would also be VSTi's hogging up the ram...however, what if I had ran the same amount of VSTi's, but used more of 'something else' instead...maybe that would have made me think that was hogging ram (?).

However...I'm now using 3 Win XP machines together (12 cores of CPU & 12 GB ram combined), each have their own tasks, at any given time.... whether it be acting as a dedicated VSTi machine or as a dedicated audio recording machine, etc.

What I can say at this point - even though I still lean toward VSTi's being the ram hogs - is that when I'm using one of these XP boxes just as a dedicated VSTi 'only' machine (and I'm talking using more VSTi's than what I was using when I was just using a single XP machine for everything) my ram usage on a dedicated VSTi machine is well below the 4 GB I have installed....in fact I'm talking about all resources are being taxed very little.... Same with the audio machine. Go figure!

This all leads me to the notion (no bench marks as I've said) that whatever you're doing on any given DAW system, over-doing it with heavy demands starts to tax it's resources in ways that almost don't seem to add up, when comparing it to two systems that are well under load. It's like a threshold get's reached and your system caves in...much like the idea of when hard drives get close to full, it doesn't want to work well anymore...even though you're not at full capacity.

I typically don't run many VSTi's, but a recent project (in the MP3 Clinic) has 3 VSTi synths, so I stem rendered 2 while working on it, left the 3rd one, and I'm running EZ Drummer plus 3 separate reverb tracks (1 each for drums, instruments and vocals) and my monitor showed 26-27% usage with my 6G RAM.

Reverbs chew up CPU cycles, but not much RAM. It's sample libraries that are the main RAM hog. gotta have copies of all of those samples, for each velocity layer, for each instrument. Drum VSTis especially since they have all that multiplied by each microphone/kit piece in the setup. Depending on how richly detailed the velocity layers are, it could easily take a full 1GB or more to hold just the drums on a project.

My cat chewed up a RAM stick once.....

I had a rabbit that used to chew up all my guitar leads... and completely stripped 1 ft square of leatherette off a guitar case before I noticed... :D

Haven't noticed any RAM issues yet on even my largest projects, so I must have the good stuff...

One of my cats is a thief...he will steal anything he can carry in his mouth....and then he either turns it into a new toy, or he drags it off to another room and you find it laying in the middle of the floor.

He'll come over while I'm sitting there working on something, and try to steal things right in front of me....so I have to watch what I put down on the table. The smaller it is, the more chance that he will swipe it....but he has managed to even drag off shoes at times (I have no idea how he manages that). I come home, and there is a shoe sitting in the middle of the living room. :D

Last edited:
Project size (files), plugins and vInstruments chew up RAM while real-time effects tend to use CPU (Consider rending stems). I recently put together a new system with 32GB RAM, i7 4Ghz and a nice 3gb video card, Windows 7 x 64 PRO all SSD. The only crash I have ever experienced was with Spectrsonics Stylus. It was not due to resources, perhaps some mis-routing while I was learning the interface. Out of 32gb of RAM I don't think, even with a project loaded with a couple copies of PowerSynth running I use 30 percent of what I have available. A lot depends on your host, plugins, etc being 32 vs 64 bit and if your OS is 32 pr 64 bit. Best of luck.

Back