What DAW do you guys recommend?

inkline

I'm mainly using orchestral instruments for classical and classicalish music, and a few pads that fit in.

I've used Ableton Lite, came free with my keyboard, but it got too crashy for me. I don't think they update that version of the software anymore.

Right now I'm using Reaper, but I'm not entirely satisfied with it.

Next time Kontakt goes on sale I'll get that, that'll cover sampling for what it's worth.

But what DAW software should I get? What have you guys tried and think would fit this kind of music?

Anything. Reaper should be fine.
What don't you like about it?

And what is your price range? I use Cubase, which is great.
There is a lot of religion on this topic though.... so take it all with a grain.

There are times when I load up my instruments in it and they don't sound right, I get a stuttering sound instead. This especially happens when I've let it idle for awhile, suddenly everything's no good. Or if I try to up the khz. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it goes to pieces.

I haven't tried other DAWs with them to see if they have this problem too, but for the moment it's made me want to go looking and see what else is out there. I don't have experience with much else, so I figure I shouldn't just settle without seeing what's out there.

I really don't care what samples other DAWs have.

Just how flexible and easy it is to work with the MIDI tracks, tweak and arrange them. And reliability. Something that isn't going to conk out on me after several hours.

Cubase fits that bill. Good MIDI implementation. Arrangement is a breeze. It's in version 9 and has been around forever.

But Reaper is ALSO well regarded- you maybe have workstation troubles? These instruments- are they third party?

Thanks. Looks like I can change the buffers..

Now I have to figure out what acceptable latency is, and how to reduce it.

Aiya. Now that I've reduced the latency I feel like I have to relearn how to play this keyboard. Well. At least I succeeded in doing so. I was worried there for a bit.

Aiya. Now that I've reduced the latency I feel like I have to relearn how to play this keyboard. Well. At least I succeeded in doing so. I was worried there for a bit.
Ha ha. I felt like that last time I switched interfaces.
I was like- "suddenly this is perfect. I don't understand"

" What have you guys tried and think would fit this kind of music"?

All this time I thought you would be looking for the last word in notation, now it's buffers : )

I don't know that my Incantations link is the same file I have, but it sounded the same. Give Reaper a workout and make it all Classical Orchestration. Those files are usually composed on GM, though

I use "Logic Pro X", "Studio 1", "Reaper". Reaper does anything you want, if you know how to get it in the program, setup it up and configure. Logic does everything for you. Just pick the effect or controller and use it. I've also used Adobe Audition but, didn't want to spend the time to learn it more than basic editing.
Studio 1 I'm just learning.
They all have the same basics but all have their own learning curve.
I think which ever one you choose will suit you will if you take the time to learn it.

I've learned quite a bit watching youtube videos and Lynda.com. Anything you want to learn you can with the right amount of time.

Back