What component do I need simultaneously record 4 unmixed analog tracks into my PC?

Pensacolian

Hello,

I'm getting back into multi-tracking, and have some Fostex 4-track and Tascam 8-track tapes I'd like to remaster. I'm looking for a way to simultaneously run 4 unmixed tracks into my PC.

The old Fostex stuff is doable, splitting stereo tracks into two mono tracks, repeat for 3+4, and then lining up all four. The Tascam stuff is a nightmare. There's gotta be an easier way to do this!

My OS is Win7, 64-bit, and I've USB-3.0 and USB-2.0 inputs.

Thanks!

Phil

You need an audio interface with the appropriate number of line level inputs to record the maximum number of tracks you want at one time.

You mention 4 inputs so something like a Tascam US 600 would do that for you.

Edited to add: On re-reading, I wonder if you mean 4 stereo tracks, i.e. 8 tracks. If you then something like a Tascam US 1800 might be more what you want.

Thank you!

Wow--perfect. Looks like exactly what I need.

Thank you Bobbsy!

The most my Tascam (portastudio 488) can send, unmixed, is 4 at a time. I think there's a way to "cheat" that up to 6, but 4 is good for me, since most of my tracks are stereo. A lot easier to line up a bass line with itself, for example.

Again, thank you!

(Edit) Then again, if the US 1800 can do four stereo tracks at once, that'd be even better!

Last edited:
Back