what to buy?

nomis

I want to start recording some music (piano, guitar stuff). I already have a pretty decent computer with a big hard drive. It came with a Soundblaster Live soundcard. And I have n-track, cakewalk, etc.
I was considering getting a digital 8-track (Boss BR-8), but I don't know if that's the best idea since I already have a computer to store and mix stuff with. Is there a better option? A different kind of sound card or something?

How much money do you have available?

How many tracks are you looking to record simultaneously?

How are you?

If you have the computer already and you were going to drop the cash for the BR-8, you can definitely opt out for an 8 or 10 I/O interface, such as Delta 1010 or something similar. You will need a small mixer to go with that or at least some kind of pre-amps since those units tend to have line inputs. There are some units, such as the Digi001 that have a couple mic inputs and even direct inputs (for plugging a guitar or bass straight into the jack). Look at:

www.midiman.com
www.echoaudio.com
www.motu.com
www.digidesign.com or www.digi001.com

Motu and digidesign stuff are going to be more expensive, but it may be worth it for you. Do some research, head to a local shop and play around with stuff.

Personally, I would invest in a good sound card (Delta 1010 maybe) and a small Mackie mixer. I'm assuming your CPU is 800 MHz or better, and you have at least 256 RAM.

The Delta 1010 will give you 8 simultaneous tracks and 24-bit capability, and Cakewalk gives you a multi-tracking program that allows for (essentially) unlimited track count without the need for bouncing tracks.

The Mackie will give you the necessary preamps, and a lot of flexibility.

Keep the SB Live for midi.

I don't know what the BR-8 goes for, but the above can probably be had for $1300 or so. Plus you have a good upgrade path for the future.

Later on you could consider a second hard drive.

You could also start with just the SB Live, but this will limit you to 16-bits and only two simultaneous tracks. You'll still need pre-amps, which you buy as standalone's or go for the Mackie.

A lot comes down to, as giaschel said, how much $$ you looking to spend?

Whoops, simultaneous post, pvolcko. Looks like we were pretty much thinking along the same lines, though.

more info

I have a p-800 with 256mb RAM.

I can get a used BR-8 on ebay for $4-500 so I'd be looking to spend less than that.

I would only need to record two tracks at a time.

Back