Welded and interchangeable RAM - laptop confusion

paw1

I'm currently looking at a new laptop as the old one doesn't cut it any more.
I've found a really good one. The thing is that is has one welded and one interchangeable RAM-chip.
I know that in desktop PCs, all RAM-chips must be identical. If that's the case with laptops, then I won't be able to upgrade the interchangeable chip.

I really don't think that's the case, because then both chips would be welded. Just need to know if I can change out the interchangeable chip with whatever non-matching chip I want, or if it's not possible.

Best regards

-paw

I know that in desktop PCs, all RAM-chips must be identical.

I don't think that's correct. You can mix and match different speeds and storage capacities. The RAM will run at the speed of the slowest RAM installed; I think you need to have the largest RAM nearest the CPU. They all have to be of the correct type (DDR, for example) - I'm not sure if you can mix, say, DDR2 and DDR3 RAM (or if they will even fit in the slot).

I think you can treat a laptop in the same way as a PC, except you have to be more careful of what will fit in the case (IIRC, only special laptop RAM boards will fit in a laptop motherboard).

Matching modules is essential for ram modules to run in dual channel mode, but that's not likely to be an option if on module is soldered.

I reckon Johnny's right. You could probably upgrade the slotted module in terms of capacity, but a module with a faster bus speed will always just run at the speed of the soldered module.

Google the laptop model number to see if you can find out the max capacity.

Steeno is dead on. What you would do is upgrade the module but with the same speed. They don't have to be the same brand or anything else, just the same spec. When you look up the new module it will match what you have in there so it will work in dual channel. Personally I like using Kingston.com for finding my memory upgrades just because their site is simple to use.

So, what you're saying is that you can put whatever chip (that fits) in the non-welded slot, and you will be able to exploit all available memory from both chips, but the slower chip will determine the data-speed transfer of both chips?

You laid it out pretty clearly for me, just need to make sure I understood you.

Thanks guys!

So, what you're saying is that you can put whatever chip (that fits) in the non-welded slot,

Not quite.
If the board only supports, say, 2GB max capacity, then you can't put a 2gb module in the available slot because the total will exceed the maximum.
You need to adhere to the max capacity of the board.
If you put an appropriate sized module in but it's 667, whereas your board and soldered ram are 533, the pair will just run at 533.

Thinking about it, it'd make sense for the max capacity to be the soldered module size X 2.
What model laptop is it though? It's usually easy enough to find out specs.

Not quite.
If the board only supports, say, 2GB max capacity, then you can't put a 2gb module in the available slot because the total will exceed the maximum.
You need to adhere to the max capacity of the board.
If you put an appropriate sized module in but it's 667, whereas your board and soldered ram are 533, the pair will just run at 533.

Thinking about it, it'd make sense for the max capacity to be the soldered module size X 2.
What model laptop is it though? It's usually easy enough to find out specs.

The model is Samsung 770Z5E 15.6".

A lot of sites says that 12GB is maximum, although I found one that said 8GB was max.
With 12GB RAM and a SSD, it should run pretty smoothly for my projects.

Oh, and I guess soldered is the right word, not welded:facepalm:

Thanks Steenamaroo!

Last edited:
Oh wow....I thought this was gonna be a dopey netbook or something. :p

8gb is plenty in a laptop.
I had 4gb in an i5 MBP and upgraded to 16gb just because I didn't see the point in baby steps.
I've learned that 16gb is just not necessary for what I'm doing.

You say your sessions 'aren't huge'. I think you'd need to be going buck-daft with sample libraries and vsts to merit >8gb.

Oh wow....I thought this was gonna be a dopey netbook or something. :p

8gb is plenty in a laptop.
I had 4gb in an i5 MBP and upgraded to 16gb just because I didn't see the point in baby steps.
I've learned that 16gb is just not necessary for what I'm doing.

You say your sessions 'aren't huge'. I think you'd need to be going buck-daft with sample libraries and vsts to merit >8gb.

Yeah, I overcompensate, you know - just to be sure:D

I don't like to buy things that will turn into garbage a couple of years later.
I'm quality conscious and don't think it's good to the planet.
If something's work repairing, I'll try to repair it.

Thanks, you've been most helpful.

Yeah, I overcompensate, you know - just to be sure:D

I don't like to buy things that will turn into garbage a couple of years later.
I'm quality conscious and don't think it's good to the planet.
If something's work repairing, I'll try to repair it.

Thanks, you've been most helpful.

It used to be, memory modules had to match, but I don't think that has been the case for the last 10 years, probably longer. That is probably what the OP was thinking. Ze alt days.

It used to be, memory modules had to match, but I don't think that has been the case for the last 10 years, probably longer. That is probably what the OP was thinking. Ze alt days.

Oh, ok. Enlightenment is always appreciated!

Actually this is more true now than it has been in a long time. For most modern PCs and laptops to run at full speed, the memory is split into two banks (aka duel channels) that must be identical. If they don't match, the machine runs in slower single-channel mode.

Memory should always be a perfect match in type and speed. In theory you can mix brands so long as type and speed are the same. But I've seen cases where machines would blue screen or lock up when RAM brands were mixed, even when both modules test fine. RAM is cheap enough that its easier to avoid the headaches and match them up.

And its pretty damn weird that any laptop today would have a RAM chip "welded" (soldered) into the motherboard. I haven't seen anything like that in years. More likely one is easily upgradeable through a panel on the back, while the other is installed under the keyboard and requires removing the keyboard to get too. That is a pretty common configuration.

Actually this is more true now than it has been in a long time. For most modern PCs and laptops to run at full speed, the memory is split into two banks (aka duel channels) that must be identical. If they don't match, the machine runs in slower single-channel mode.

In the case I was referring to, the machine wouldn't boot. wasn't a matter of slower.

Memory should always be a perfect match in type and speed. In theory you can mix brands so long as type and speed are the same. But I've seen cases where machines would blue screen or lock up when RAM brands were mixed, even when both modules test fine. RAM is cheap enough that its easier to avoid the headaches and match them up.

This is the important part and you're right, spend the money and avoid the issues.

And its pretty damn weird that any laptop today would have a RAM chip "welded" (soldered) into the motherboard. I haven't seen anything like that in years. More likely one is easily upgradeable through a panel on the back, while the other is installed under the keyboard and requires removing the keyboard to get too. That is a pretty common configuration.

I scratched my head on this one. I don't mess with laptops very much, but this struck me as strange as well.

I'd be wary of any manufacturer that solders parts in so you can't replace them. Wouldn't it be a ploy to make you buy a new computer quicker? I'm not sure of why anyone would do such a thing for your benefit.

With that said, buying anything faster would probably not give you any performance boast. You could just put another matched 4 Gb in it and that would give you plenty of RAM for 99.9% of what you would probably be doing. I don't see a short term issue. 8 Gb is more than what I have and I have no issues.

Back