That was weird

bluesfordan

I was trying out some of my mics for vocals last night and checking out the patches that come with the GarageBand vocal project option. I was just getting into the delay patch when something somewhere decided to go into a loop and just kept repeating the same thing and locking up GB tight as a drum. Eventually I was able to get the computer to shut down.

my mac mini was pretty warm to the touch, don't know if it was too warm. I once worked in a trailer office for a construction company and on the really hot days the A/C wasn't able to keep up and the computers would get all wocky and became glorified paper weights until they could cool down.

I rebooted the computer, made sure it was working and then took a break. After I came back, it was working fine again.

What weird shit has happened to your computers out of the blue? There be gremlins in the machines, I tells ya

Strange one. I doubt it's anything to do with the heat.
Minis do tend to run quite warm but I think if it was too warm, or hot, you'd know about it.
Any computer should shut down at a certain thermal limit, too so if there was something really bad going on, it'll 'tell' you.

Since you mention "I was just getting into the delay patch", is it possible the delay feedback got turned up, because that can go haywire really fast!
You'd think any daw would have protection for that or not be phased by it but...who knows...Anything's possible.

If you're concerned there might be a problem and something like this happens again, keep Utilities/'Activity Monitor' handy.
It'll give you CPU load and memory use.

You can get temperature monitor apps too - Having one running in the background will do no harm.

I thought maybe it didn't like my Percy imitation and decided to get clam-jammed

"Wo man, you neeeeeed it - eed it - eed it - eed it - eed it - eed it - eed it - eed it " :eek::cursing:

memo to self, stay away from the Delay Vocal patch in GarageBand.

I tried the patch again tonight, same thing. too bad because it definitely had potential for some pretty cool stuff.

memo to self, stay away from the Delay Vocal patch in GarageBand.

I tried the patch again tonight, same thing. too bad because it definitely had potential for some pretty cool stuff.

Weird.
It'd be interesting to know what console says right as this is happening.
On the other hand, what interface are you using? I guess the hardware could be crapping itself, causing a lockup?

doesn't say anything, the repeats suddenly ramp up and take over and bottom out the level meter and yer ripping the phones off to keep from blowing our head up

That almost sounds like an old analog delay with the feedback dimed! Total weirdness. I almost never use GB anymore but I'm tempted to fire it back up just to hear this audio abuse.

if I think of it, I could try sending the output to my cassette deck, trigger the delay tsunami again and get an audio recording of it. Once it starts, my computer is bricked, takes forever to get it to shut down. Then I can play the output from the deck back into the computer and make a .wav or .aif or .mp4 file to upload and demonstrate what's happening.

my first internet audio file, my computer having a delay feedback seizure :listeningmusic: then :eek: followed by :cursing:

Back