Webcam with E-mu 0404 soundcard

grahammk1

Hello again.
I am trying to record personal performances using a Logitech C170 Webcam and an EMU 0404 soundcard for quality audio. The C170 "sees" the EMU but will only record on the C170 microphone. :facepalm: Any advice?

Webcams are not a great choice.

Far better to record video with a stand-alone camera, audio with the computer and then merge them together in a video editor like Sony Vegas Studio (<$50)

You can get a refurb camera that records to SecureDigital cards for $100 or so.

Problem solved - uninstalled the 0404 and then re-installed it - now have video from the webcam and quality audio from the 0404 mixed nicely audio/video. Next problem - I have created a killer effect in Ableton, but when I record with the webcam/0404, I am only recording the settings from my mixing desk, and the Ableton effect is missing. Any ideas?

Problem solved - uninstalled the 0404 and then re-installed it - now have video from the webcam and quality audio from the 0404 mixed nicely audio/video. Next problem - I have created a killer effect in Ableton, but when I record with the webcam/0404, I am only recording the settings from my mixing desk, and the Ableton effect is missing. Any ideas?

You will have to record, put the effect in the audio, play back in Ableton. When satisfied, bounce everything back to a new file. The you will hear the effect. I have worked with video and audio files in Ableton, so I am not sure if it merges all back together or it just creates and file that you can port into a video editor, but I think it will merge it all back. Either way, you will still need to bounce the mix and the vid together. Ableton only works with Quick files to my understanding.

Bounce Everything Back To A New File

You will have to record, put the effect in the audio, play back in Ableton. When satisfied, bounce everything back to a new file. The you will hear the effect. I have worked with video and audio files in Ableton, so I am not sure if it merges all back together or it just creates and file that you can port into a video editor, but I think it will merge it all back. Either way, you will still need to bounce the mix and the vid together. Ableton only works with Quick files to my understanding.

Thank you, most helpful. Can you explain "Bounce everything back to a new file" please?

Thank you, most helpful. Can you explain "Bounce everything back to a new file" please?

Ableton will export the to a stereo track (under file, export). You can see it has an option for video, but I have never used it. This is where you could test to see if it mixes withe the video. You can find a lot of Youtube Vids on Ableton if you need any assistance. One thing to note, make sure your play reference is back to 0 or else you will only get a partial rendering.

Thank you again. I will experiment and report back.

May I ask another question?
I have started trying to sync audio drum loops in Ableton 8 using the Follow Action facility.
Problem - I have a "lead-in" sample triggering a main beat loop, but there is a time gap between the lead-in and the main loop starting. Probably obvious, but how do I get the main beat to start immediately after the lead-in loop finishes?
Thanks in advance

Thank you again. I will experiment and report back.

May I ask another question?
I have started trying to sync audio drum loops in Ableton 8 using the Follow Action facility.
Problem - I have a "lead-in" sample triggering a main beat loop, but there is a time gap between the lead-in and the main loop starting. Probably obvious, but how do I get the main beat to start immediately after the lead-in loop finishes?
Thanks in advance

Well, sorry to say, I don;t have much context to go on. Are you in session view or arrangement view? Are these analog, MIDI or both. What I do is, get my timing, then get my analog clips lined up, then set the MIDI to come in. But this is really dependent on whether you are launching clips or going to arrangement view. That is a detailed question in regards to Ableton.

So, further question in regards to Ableton, you should re-post in that thread to keep things in its proper place. I will keep a look out there as well.

Ableton will export the to a stereo track (under file, export). You can see it has an option for video, but I have never used it. This is where you could test to see if it mixes withe the video. You can find a lot of Youtube Vids on Ableton if you need any assistance. One thing to note, make sure your play reference is back to 0 or else you will only get a partial rendering.

Just to let you know, with thanks, that the above works. Only problems now are exact sync-ing (very tricky) and trying to get the QT file compressed for video upload. I think I need to have QT Pro to convert to webstreaming otherwise I have a 240Mb video to upload. You can have a look at my first attempt here:

Try a little program called Handbrake. It's free and might be able to convert mov files to MP4's.... Which is what you want to upload to the Internet.

Try a little program called Handbrake. It's free and might be able to convert mov files to MP4's.... Which is what you want to upload to the Internet.

Or, you could download the demo of Camtasia. My son has used that to put vids on the web.

Once you have had your 30 days, grab Sony Vegas. Think you get two bites at that? Bog S and the "pro" version.

Dave.

Or, you could download the demo of Camtasia. My son has used that to put vids on the web.

Once you have had your 30 days, grab Sony Vegas. Think you get two bites at that? Bog S and the "pro" version.

Dave.

I have been using Video Converter from AppGeeker for quite some time now as it supports multiple video formats and its conversion options are very flexible.

As for uploading files into YouTube, you may convert mov to flv format since flv is currently the standard for online video. Notable users of it include YouTube, Hulu, VEVO, Yahoo! Video, metacafe, Reuters.com, and many other news providers.

Back