Waves plug ins

twist

So I was reading a recent thread about dithering, and several people recomended the Waves L-1 plug in. I went to their site and downloaded the trial version. Free for 14 days. I thought the whole package was pretty cool till I decided to go back and check the price. I can't believe I have to pay $300 just for the L-1 plug in. Anybody got any other recomendations on good but affordable dithering plug ins?

Twist

most audio software dither, may not be as 'good' as the L1 but differences between dithering is almost neglible unless u have a $20 000 system and super ears

twist said:
So I was reading a recent thread about dithering, and several people recomended the Waves L-1 plug in. I went to their site and downloaded the trial version. Free for 14 days. I thought the whole package was pretty cool till I decided to go back and check the price. I can't believe I have to pay $300 just for the L-1 plug in. Anybody got any other recomendations on good but affordable dithering plug ins?

Twist

The L1 comes with the Native Power Pack. I paid around $250 or so for the L1, the Q10 (Param EQ), TrueVerb, the C1 compressor, and some delay thingy I never really used. I can't imagine who would buy an individual plug directly from the Waves site. Check Mars Music online for a good price. Then Sam Ash matched this price for me. Oh, the the NPP also comes with a really nice manual with tons of good info on dithering, eq, compression, etc...
Good luck!

PS - Before I got the L1, I used David Brown's Mastering Limiter on my final mix. Sounded pretty good, I was able to pump up the volume a bit without clipping and it also featured dithering. Don't have a link handy but do a search for DB Plugins. I believe you can get a set for $99 (the limiter, a Multiband compressor, and a regular compressor).

Web,

This question was regarding dithering software to be used with the Logic Soundtrack 24 that came with my C-Port sound card. I now believe a "plug in" won't work because of the mixer design.
Soundforge was recomended to me in another thread.

sound forge

musiciansfriend.com says in their flyer that Sound Forge 5 can be had with their noise reduction plug-in(usually extra 279) for 250$ Pretty sure Sound Forge dithers - and the noise reduction plug in is invaluable - plus their EQ is nice too

In logic you can you can hit the "Bounce" button on the master bus. Mute all your tracks except for the master mix track. It will prompt you for file location and type. Just pick 16bit. It will then dither to 16bit.

Or am I missing something here?

Thanks Tex.

I'll try that. Realize, the version that comes with the C-Port is not the full version. It does have the bounce function on the mixer, but the manual makes no mention of dither. I will check it tonite. Thanks again.

Twist

I have the RPC version that came with the Roland Pack. Took me awhile to figure it out also. The full version is supposed to have a Dither plug (mine is also according to the manual) but the bounce method is the only way I could get it to work.

Back