Waves Hardware - DLS / IOS

ShortySMC

If you haven't seen these....

Avid Pro Audio Community - View Single Post - Waves DLS
DiGiGrid DLS | Hardware | Waves

Super Super sick, fully scalable...... I'm super stoked to start working with mine (On it's way)

Really digging the concept of a separate dedicated DSP Server ...... and the idea of a scalable interface with built in DSP server and remote control preamps!!?? seriously.

When I moved from my Pro Tools HD rigs, and was looking at HDX and HD Native, these were not out yet, but I was researching them.

I decided on HD Native rather than HDX, and the plan was to get a DLS when they came out.

This gives me a more powerful system than HDX, on the Pro Tools HD platform, along with up to 64 I/O (I run 48).... 64 will be fine for me for a LONG time.

Prices are seriously seriously on point.

I realize it is a bit out of some peoples hobby type price range.. but I do see more and more home recordists stepping into higher end products.

I've got friends that make music for fun and spend some good money on some of their gear.... or instruments.

I see some fairly serious people around here as well

I realize it is a bit out of some peoples hobby type price range.. but I do see more and more home recordists stepping into higher end products.

I've got friends that make music for fun and spend some good money on some of their gear.... or instruments.

I see some fairly serious people around here as well

Certainly the exception rather than the rule, but I do agree there's plenty of people in all hobbies (I have several) with money to blow. It's just that buying studio gear ends up making what you're doing "studio" recording, versus "home" recording. The fact the physical space is in your home doesn't make it "home", it's the equipment used. At least that's always been the distinction as I understood it. Heck, some of the studios out there ARE homes with converted areas for recording, and living quarters/lounges elsewhere. David Grohl converted his garage into a $100,000+ (?) studio for Wasting Light. There's always been an underground feel to what takes place here. Mostly fledgling, low budget stuff and getting the most out of it.

What makes something home recorded, to you?

I see both sides of the fence. I get Pinky's view, but I understand what shorty is saying. I always use the fishing boat analogy. Some guys have a $500 fishing boat, another guy has a $30,000 bass boat, $10K in gear, plus the truck to go with it. $70K to go fishing, not unheard of in many parts. A $20K+ studio, yea I get that.

I lean towards Pinky's view, something within reach of the masses ($500 fishing boat). Low budget, high end (as much as possible) equipment. Get as much sound out of it as possible.

I can see your point..... I guess the line between studio and home to me is more about the use of the space rather than the equipment in it (Professional use for hire, or for personal use).

That line is blurred by the equipment in it to a degree, but that degree is blurred more and more by companies offering the types of equipment that only used to be found in studios at lower price-points, and catered toward a wider range of potential customer.

Some Digi/Avid for example:
Take the MBox for example... used to me a 2 channel interface geared toward an entry level market, and was also priced accordingly.
The MBox series now has a 8 Channel I/O unit... again, still geared to the home market, but they call some of them PRO
Next up was the 00X series (002, 003... won't see a 004 as the MBox series took it's place)... some of them jokers were ~$2000 geared to 'home' market, but some are used in professional commercial facilities as well

Then there have been crossovers everywhere in between. Some Cheap, some expensive. All relative....
Some scalable, some not.

More and more people even in a 'home' environment are running equipment on a level with, or found in, pro 'studios' used for monetary gain/business/sources of income.

To me that is the difference... the intended purpose. Home is more hobbyist for themselves... 'commercial' to me is more 'studio'

Studios are found everywhere now, and in some places you may not expect. Agreed that more and more commercial facilities are run from private residences now.

Not advocating one way or the other... great results can be achieved wither way. I'm just blown away at where the equipment market has gotten..... Cost/Quality
I think that technology/manufacturing plays a big role in that, now that a professional audio engineer or producer can afford to buy his/her own rig for at home (Manufacturers making them more cost effective now, verses in the past)
On that same note, it's the same reason a hobbyist can afford the same (in some cases)

Take me long enough to get to that one? lol

More and more people even in a 'home' environment are running equipment on a level with, or found in, pro 'studios' used for monetary gain/business/sources of income.

To me that is the difference... the intended purpose. Home is more hobbyist for themselves... 'commercial' to me is more 'studio'

I don't know anyone who doesn't at least self-promote their music, so everything is 'commercial' nowadays in that sense. Many of the same tools and avenues for distribution that used to only be used by record companies can be accessed by just about anyone (although it still does require some capital expense). I would consider my own personal music 'commercialized' by that definition. It's available online everywhere Nickelback is. :p The true home recording artists are those you see asking questions in the newbies section. There's many of us on here who have long graduated from that descriptor.

People can buy their way into being a studio rather easily now. The line is most definitely blurred, but it's still there. It used to be throwing a rug up on the wall or traps were 'treatment' for a home recorder. Now people literally build studios in their spare rooms in their homes, costing thousands of dollars. High end sound treatment in a dedicated space used to be one of the defining elements to a "studio". Again, being that there's $50,000 of investment in a room in a house or in a strip mall doesn't make one "home" and the other "studio". There is certainly credence in weighing the financial investment made more heavily than the 'intended use'. No one spending tens of thousands on their recording setup is looking to make music purely for themselves. If those people exist, they are by far the tiniest exception.

Last edited:
Back