WAV files hiccup with every play

TimN

About three months ago, something started going bad with WAV and mp3 playback. Every time I play a WAV file, or an mp3, it "hiccups" sometime during play back. Every song, every time. This includes playback of music videos on Youtube. That's bad enough, but it's also happening when I use Samplitude, my DAW of choice. I rarely get through a mix playback without glitches and lost ASIO buffers. I believe this is caused by whatever is fouling up the WAV playback. I'm thinking at this point that it might be the soundcard, an older E-mu 1010.

You could be right, the card is starting to go down hill. But it could also be the OS has so much clutter that it is having a hard time processing. I would first check my output settings (sample rate), if you have it set to optimal, then the computer is probably trying to convert to the higher setting. That take processing power for no gain.

Check your output, play with that (say 44.1) which is where 90% of finished music is rendered at. See if that correct the problem. Worth a shot and cost nothing but a little time.

Windows 7 premium, 16 gigs of RAM. Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU@3.40Ghz 3.40 Ghz. The drivers? Do you mean on the sound card? You know, I always record at 48 kHz, and the device (the E-mu card) is locked at 48, even while I'm listening to WAV files bounced in from a CD. I'm listening right now, waiting for the song to hiccup (it just did!). Do you mean the output settings on the card? The e-mu card? What kind of clutter am I looking for in the OS? I'll try re-setting the sample rate of the card to see if that does anything, but it's always been set at 48, and there was no problem before, so I'm thinking it's either the card or the clutter.

You may want to try defragmenting your hard drive, and making sure your hard drive space isn't overly filled up. Your hard drive just may need to be completely reformatted, then reinstall your operating system, which in my experience a freshly installed operating system is almost always at it's fastest.

Another potential problem is your Hard drive may be failing. One thing you could do (if you want to hold out on reformatting), is remove your current hard drive, put a new hard drive in it's place, and install your operating system.

On occasions I've had similar issues, and found that my ASIO audio interface (Aardvark) had been accidentally de-selected as my default audio device, and a Windows generic driver somehow got selected instead. Changing it back to my Aardvarks ASIO driver instantly solved it.

If I was worried about my professional audio interface/card being the problem, I'd possibly remove it, or just select my motherboards built in audio deice, I'd select that/it's driver to test an mp3 or .wav file.

Back