Wanting to run Mackie 802VLZ4 to Scarlett 2i2v2....

imsharris

I am wanting to record some solo acoustic gigs running from my Mackie 802VLZ4 into my computer. Since the Mackie does not have a USB out I was thinking that the best way to do it would be to run the Mackie through the Scarlett 2i2v2 and then into the computer. My question is what would be the best way to do this? I will be running the XLR main outs to my speaker so I was wondering if running the 1/4" main outs could be used to run to the 2i2? I will have an Alesis Nanoverb running from the Aux Out to the returns. I really just want to record the same mix that is coming out of the main mix with the effects.

Any advice and explanation of hookup would be greatly appreciated!

or the tape output phono sockets provided for the purpose of recording. A pair of short phono to jack leads. The Scarlett line inputs will have adequate gain for the reduced signal level and you won't have to split the main outputs which feed your speakers or power amp.

Last edited:
So an RCA cable to the audio out to a 1/4" cable into one of the channels of the 2i2? Does the 1/4" side need to be TRS?

So, just thinking out loud here but what if I am only using the Left XLR main out to a single QCS K10 speaker (small venues). Can I use the Right XLR main out to go into one channel of the 2i2 as long as I don't have the phantom power turned on the 2i2 if phantom power is turned on at the Mackie? All channels would be center panned so the output would be the same on both, right?

If the recording track is MONO, it will be center panned. If the recording track is stereo, it will only be left, or, right. I think most people find a extra set of stereo out from the mixer going into a stereo recording track

So, just thinking out loud here but what if I am only using the Left XLR main out to a single QCS K10 speaker (small venues). Can I use the Right XLR main out to go into one channel of the 2i2 as long as I don't have the phantom power turned on the 2i2 if phantom power is turned on at the Mackie? All channels would be center panned so the output would be the same on both, right?

Depends on whether the XLR input of the interface has enough gain range to deal with a balanced +4dBu signal. If that Mackie happens to have a pad on its outputs you could engage it and apply more gain at the speaker. If not then an XLRF-TRS cable would be preferable. Or just use the 1/4" or RCA output. Your manual should tell you if the 1/4" output is balanced, but for short distances and barring any grounding issues it should work with an unbalanced guitar cable.

I would have thought you would want the recording feed to the 2i2 to be independent of any level changes in the main or monitoring paths?
If so you need to come out of the Inserts and use TRS to TS* cables with the tip and ring linked to preserve the thru' signal.

All of the Mackie's outputs are +22dBu capable except the XLRs which can put out +28dBu! Those levels will clip the line inputs of the F'rite (and most other small AIs to be fair) so it could well be that the mic pre gain has to be kept lower than optimum and the post Insert gains advanced rather more to make up for it?

Ground loop problems were mentioned? If they arise the easiest, slightly dirty solution would be a 2 channel DI box. There will be some loss of quality but they are regularly used by "pro" sound engineers.

*Are line inputs on 2i2 balanced? (will have a varder later) if so the Insert cables could be TRS to TRS and "impedance" balanced, useful if the run from the mixer is a fair way or/and in an electrically noisy venue.

Dave.

It's got the usual tape out on rca

Not quite G. Tape outs on mixers are often padded down to neg ten, not these, they come straight off the hot side of the balanced out amps at +4dBu with +22dBu headroom.

Dave.

Not quite G. Tape outs on mixers are often padded down to neg ten, not these, they come straight off the hot side of the balanced out amps at +4dBu with +22dBu headroom.

Dave.

That seems fairly total ass giant skid mark ? I wanna think there's a empty space for r111, or, something

True, unlikely but the Insert route removes the FU Factor.

When I was still doing live sound I tapped signal off the main inserts like that, but with a spacer to keep the standard unbalanced patch cable's tip aligned with the insert's ring. The ring contact on my 1604VLZ Pro was strongly sprung so it was reliable. I used 1/4"ID fuel hose cut to 1/4" lengths for this purpose. The TRS-TS cable would be a better option but may not be necessary. I have found other TRS sockets not to have such strongly sprung ring contacts so caution is warranted.

As often G, not an effin' clue what you are on about.

Dave.

With you there. I think it's more a communication lapse than anything. It's like he expects people to know what he's thinking so he writes in some sort of shorthand code. At least the parts that make sense suggest there's something behind the code. Maybe with time we'll learn his code and/or he'll get better at expressing himself clearly.

Isn't there a +4 switch on the main XLR ? Maybe, if we look at the board, it says Behringer : )

As far as I can tell from the manual, everything is pretty normal on the outs 'cept for XLR main out and that has a level switch to chain into another mixer, etc.

If the outs were the same, wouldn't they have the same loading ? 120-Ohm vs 1k on the tape ?

Back