Want dual display but only have single? Read on

jabulani jonny

Hey guys,
I found this trick last year and I absolutely love it for maximizing desktop real estate in my recording software. I've tried the virtual desktop route and it's not as friendly as this. This is by far the best way I've found to be able to view your Project Window, your Mixer, your Channel settings and everything else you want to "see" while working.

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread112610.html

This link shows you how to do it for nVidia based video cards, but I'm sure it can be done with ATI as well. First off, the best thing is to go get an updated video driver from www.laptopvideo2go.com. There's a quickstart guide there that will hand-hold you through the process. It's stupid easy so don't worry.

Download the Driver and their modded INF file and install it following the directions in their quickstart guide at laptopvideo2go. Their modded INF has higher resolutions than what your default settings are. At that point you just go in the nVidia control panel under Screen Resolutions and add some custom resolutions. The best way to find out what you can add is to open up that modded INF file with Notepad and check out the resolutions that are after your computers default resolution. Once you add these custom resolutions they will be quickly and easily available by clicking the nVidia icon in the taskbar, or by going through your Display Properties.

I added 2048x1280, 2560x1600 and 3840x2400 :eek: to mine. Talk about some real estate! Now, when I go into my recording software of choice, I just click on the nvidia task bar icon, Screen resolution and choose whichever one I want. It changes over to the new resolution and you just mouse around to pan to the other areas of the screen.

This is crazy easy and crazy effective. Try it out you won't be sorry.

Jonathan

Can't you damage the monitor with too high a resolution?

I feel safer using the resolutions that came with the drivers of my video card. :o

That sounds cool though.

I want dual monitors. :(

no, it just stretches the work area that your screen views. With higher resolutions your monitor just views a smaller area of the desktop and you can see the rest by simply panning around with your mouse. This tweak is huge for recording in my opinion, where you need as much desktop space as you can get.

Jonathan

danny.guitar said:
Can't you damage the monitor with too high a resolution?

I feel safer using the resolutions that came with the drivers of my video card. :o

That sounds cool though.

I want dual monitors. :(

That does not apply to LCD monitors, only CRT.

It is not the resolution that can damage the monitor, it is a refresh rate that the monitor cannot support. But, again, that does not apply to LCDs because they all run at 60Hz.

So much misinformation.

The only way to damage your monitor is to run it at a refresh rate (V or H) that it doesn't support. Now all modern monitors (as in the last 10 years or so) won't let you select a refresh rate out of it's range, so you're safe.

Running a different res won't damage a monitor at all. LCDs have a native resolution that they like to run at and run best at, all others on an LCD look subpar.

or buy a mac and dual display comes standard on most higher end models ;)

now if only i had the $$ for the second 19" widescreen...

TragikRemix said:

or buy a mac and dual display comes standard on most higher end models ;)

now if only i had the $$ for the second 19" widescreen...

Do you have a point or do you just like sounding like a Mac zealot who doesn't know your facts?

Windows has natively supported dual monitors since Windows 98. All you have to do on a desktop is throw in a second video card.

All PC laptops are equiped for dual monitor configurations from the get go since any laptop made in the last 15 years has a VGA port.

Heck, most PC laptops support 3 monitors right away since they also have a S-Video output as well.

brzilian said:
Do you have a point or do you just like sounding like a Mac zealot who doesn't know your facts?

Windows has natively supported dual monitors since Windows 98. All you have to do on a desktop is throw in a second video card.

All PC laptops are equiped for dual monitor configurations from the get go since any laptop made in the last 15 years has a VGA port.

Heck, most PC laptops support 3 monitors right away since they also have a S-Video output as well.

thats cold.. and i think i do infact know my stuff, you misinterpreted.

i meant that the hardware came standard.

so sure you can have 3 monitors, but are they all extended desktop or just mirrored?

TragikRemix said:
thats cold.. and i think i do infact know my stuff, you misinterpreted.

i meant that the hardware came standard.

so sure you can have 3 monitors, but are they all extended desktop or just mirrored?

Either one. Like I said, Windows has supported this since Windows 98.

Dual 21" here on my home built PC...mid-tier ATI video card. Not a big mystery really. :) I can go extended or mirrored but the mirrored just seems like a waste to me. I like the extended with sonar wrapping all the way across.

how much I hate microsoft I have to agree with brzilian Tho I like mac, alot of mac users have way to high respect for themselves. Microsoft was quite far behind. but currently I believe There verry close.

I never had a problem with Windows. Maybe I just got lucky with the hardware I had. 98, no problems. 2000, no problems. XP, no problems.

Anyway, I managed to get my screen resolution really fuckin big but I don't see how to make it like dual monitors? :/

I have the nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 card, and the latest drivers.

Oh well, shit is too hard to read at this resolution.

Back