VST Work Speed

gbaddis

Hello! I'm new in this forum, i found different questions about it but nothing to definitive so i want to talk with all of you.
I use cubase 8.5 and kontakt library(64 bit) on windows10 with i7 6th gen 8core, 16Gb ram ddr4, 256 gb SSD and HDD 1tb 7200rmp with 32Mb cache.
i have cub,kontakt and library on HDD. (too much GB cause)
when i work with a song, example 4 vst complex track, 3 recorder+effect track i have more or less 40% of vst performance (i never work with more) 30-35 % ram used and 10% CPU.
so, my notebook is not overloaded but:
1) sometimes i have with this a sudden overload (less of 1 sec)... why???
2)when a load a big library (biggest 10GB) my pc is too slow to load....
3) i can't use more then 4-5 library for work excellently.
why? what i have to improve on my pc?
thanks

Lots of memory, and FAST drives. On Cubase, moving your sampler files to the fastest drive you have often stops those big data load bursts. I tried all sorts to stop my system muting when this happened, then the drive died, and the new one didn't do it!

+1.
Although I don't use cubase, I have East West Platinum. That's over 900gb of stuff and I really don't know how anyone runs it on anything less than SSD.
Ok, 900gb sounds crazy but, realistically, you're probably only accessing 1-2gb of samples for an instrument or too, and it's still a huge dog.

i bit the bullet and bought 1tb SSD and haven't had a problem since.

+1.
Although I don't use cubase, I have East West Platinum. That's over 900gb of stuff and I really don't know how anyone runs it on anything less than SSD.
Ok, 900gb sounds crazy but, realistically, you're probably only accessing 1-2gb of samples for an instrument or too, and it's still a huge dog.

i bit the bullet and bought 1tb SSD and haven't had a problem since.

what kind SSD you use? do you have the library in main drive?
i tryed to move one of my library in main SSD drive but nothing to new. maybe becouse i have kontakt in second (HDD) drive?

From day one of using a computer DAW to record (with Cubase VST 5/32), I've mostly used 3 physical HDD's in my machines (with few exceptions of a slave PC etc) .... one for OS/Programs, one for Audio/Projects, and one for Samples/VSTi content-sounds. Even with all standard HDD's I've never had a problem loading VSTi samples with the multiple HDD set up.

In my most current main DAW PC with Cubase 8 64 bit/Win 64 bit, I use an SSD for my OS/Programs drive, but my audio & samples drives are standard HDD's & work plenty fast enough. Though I know some others use SSD's for each drive, I don't feel it's necessary for my own needs.

From day one of using a computer DAW to record (with Cubase VST 5/32), I've mostly used 3 physical HDD's in my machines (with few exceptions of a slave PC etc) .... one for OS/Programs, one for Audio/Projects, and one for Samples/VSTi content-sounds. Even with all standard HDD's I've never had a problem loading VSTi samples with the multiple HDD set up.

In my most current main DAW PC with Cubase 8 64 bit/Win 64 bit, I use an SSD for my OS/Programs drive, but my audio & samples drives are standard HDD's & work plenty fast enough. Though I know some others use SSD's for each drive, I don't feel it's necessary for my own needs.

I used to run twin or triple 7200 drives too and it was more than adequate for addictive drums, SSD, piano vsts etc.
East West, for example, is almost literally unusable over spinning disc, though.

OP, I forgot to say, you should be able to view hard drive activity and find out for certain if it's topping out.

Back