Volume levels for left and right on the meter of recording program is uneven... why?

bjamin86

I used Cubase Sx3, Audacity, and Cool edit Pro 2. i have a soundblaster Audigy 4 soundcard.

the volume meter shows the volume is unbalanced since im trying to record guitar using these 3 programs. I checked everything from the sounds and audio devices in control panel, everything works fine, i dont know why i cannot use the "balance" on the mic setting for the left and right speakers from the recording and playback control.

in each of the recording softwares, when i convert the stereo track to mono the volume is even and works fine. but for the stereo one speaker is louder than the other, and again the volume meter is showing the left is louder than the right. and the sound wave on the track has one wave bigger (louder) than the other.

please help. thanks.

a little more info on your setup will help us get to the bottom of this real quick. How many mics are you using? At least two I assume if you are recording in stereo. Of course, when you blend them to mono, the volume is fine. By definition, the same sound is coming from both speakers in mono. Something else that might help you... I NEVER use a stereo track for anything I record. Even if I'm recording something in stereo, I'll set up two mono tracks and label one "left" and the other "right". Then I can adjust the amount of stereo spread and the volume of each track individually. It sounds like you are just recording one mic hotter than the other- probably because you have the gain turned up more on one mic pre than the other.

Back