virus protection

I recommend MS SE primarily because it is free (to an extent), written and supported by the same company that writes and patches the OS. I also recommend it because it is configurable and effective in my experience when used correctly. That pretty much it. Security, like other computer conversations, can be lengthy discussions, quick and dirty, MS SE has worked well for me and clients over the last several years. Best of luck!

+This and to add, it was never intended to act by itself, but as added layer of security to protect the OS, not the computer.

I'm a fan of Security Essentials. I used ZoneAlarm for a while but it became way too sketchy and full of ads. I used AVG Free for a while as well, it was fine, nothing wrong with it.

I like how unobtrusive MSE is on more powerful systems. It was a bit of a pain on my old AMD dual core machine, the real-time scan would take a while when trying to open a freshly downloaded file (like updated versions of Reaper, for instance). On my new i7 machine, I hardly notice the delay as it scans the updates before executing them.

I'm going to be putting together a new i7 system as a gaming computer tonight, and guaranteed that MSE will be one of the first things I install once it's up and running.

I switched from avg free to avast recently, there's a huge difference as my computer is running a lot faster and it found some viruses that AVG couldn't detect and scans in around a 1/3 of the time, I now prefer avast for sure

My lappy seems lightening on Avira and it gets the nod in comparisons.

Once a week run Malwarebytes

I just received a laptop that I purchased on ebay. It's a windows 7 enterprise OS. It dosen't have virus protection software.

Amy suggestions?
I've been using the free Avast for years & it works great. I also use malware bytes, superantispyware, ccleaner & auslogics defrag. I run ccleaner & defrag daily. The others I run weekly. When you record, you should disconnect from from the Internet & shut off your virus protection program to conserve resources.

I'm installing avast now. I had to update drivers and the browser before I could download Avast.

Kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't with that one....
You have to go on the net and download stuff to be able to download something that protects you from downloading infected files.

Lol

I'm installing avast now. I had to update drivers and the browser before I could download Avast.

Kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't with that one....
You have to go on the net and download stuff to be able to download something that protects you from downloading infected files.

Lol
One way to protect you there is to install SE first since that does not hiss you about in that way!

Avast will surely object when you then get it but you can simple uninstall SE without being on the net.

And alluding to hypocritical companies? I had a nuisance call yesterday from a firm trying to sell me nuisance call protection!

Dave.

AVG Free version user here. AVG has caught a couple of infections quickly over the years, so I've stayed with it. Initial daily scan slows things up for a short while, but otherwise runs in the background quietly. Also use Malwarebytes and Spybot for periodic scans or if something comes up as questionable.

I use the same combination in the same way.

Works pretty well, but I note and agree with someone else's observation that AVG does slow some things up.

Back