Very New To This Recording Thing

discoproduction

Ok, if anyone has the patience I need help! Using macbook garageband for recording(which Im still learning)and a friend just purchased a $100 condenser microphone. Which then prompted me to purchase a focusrite interface $226 (because didnt know about the phantom power)which I still know nothing about. So, I'm thinking about returning the interface and researching what my other options are, I see usb mics that are reasonably priced(do they work well with recording?). Does this interface serve ANY other purpose?(I do some djing)will serve any purpose there? Bottom Line: This was an impulsive purchase and i would like to spend that money more wisely. So, was this a good investment for the long haul.

The key thing to figure out is what you want to record simultaneously.

Interfaces provide multiple simultaneous inputs and outputs.
Usb mics usually provide one input and sometimes stereo output. In the absence of the latter you're stuck with onboard sound for output.

If you plan to record line level from decks/synths/keyboards, or instrument level from guitars/basses, look at an interface.
Also, if you plan to record in stereo down the road, or mic up a drum kit or small group, look at interfaces with a mic preamp for each of the microphones you'll be using simultaneously.

Based on the minimal information you have given, I think you should return the focusrite and get a Mackie Blackjack. It is an affordable interface, and while it is limited to two inputs and two outputs, the ONYX preamps are very good pres and it has phantom power.

What we really need to know is what you're planning on doing with all this hardware/software.

Which Focusrite interface did you buy?

Focusrite have a very good name in the AI business and almost any of their products will work well.

The interface does vastly more than provide +48V. First it has microphone pre amps and F'rite make some of the best. Next it performs the all important Analogue to Digital conversion to talk to your mac (or pc) . Then the mac talks Digital back and the AI puts out glorious, better than CD quality analogue audio! Yes, macs and PCs have A/D.D/A converters in them but they cost about $2 and are pretty rubbish....
But!

That AI might not be your best bet for disco work. I'll bet you want 2x2 outputs and the ability to que one up on cans? Therefore look at the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. In fact go and look over their website because they are the boys for disco hardware.

Dave.

Ok, Jonesey Im recording hip hop vocals for some local artists and we're just getting started..I do want a certain quality ..but dont want to pay that amount for just for a power source..so, if someone can tell me is this calibur a good investment or is there sumthin cheaper that will produce the same..the instructions dont explain much..does anyone know if this interface could serve any purpose with digital DJing?.. Thanks guys! btw I bought a scarlett 2i 4

Back