Very low budget midi interface / external soundcard to reduce latency on Cubase

fat-bastard

Although I have a modern and powerful laptop, the latency when I try and punch in beats or notes in real time in Cubase 5 is quite shocking. I have read on forums the issue is the poor performance of the onboard soundcard (I have set Cubase to use the ASIO4ALL driver). I already have a Presonus MIDI at home, so I just want a cheap as possible portable option to use in my lunch hour.

If I bought something like the Behringer UMC22 U-PHORIA Audio Interface would that be fit for purpose? My O/S is Windows 10. I want it to perform a very simple function so I dont need bells and whistles, but I dont want to spend money to find no improvement either. I'd like to hear if anyone has experience of this setup with this device, or if anyone can recommend another that they own and does the job.

Many thanks.

The UMC22 U-PHORIA does not have 'MIDI' capability (no MIDI ports). What are you 'punching in beats' with and is it using a MIDI 5 pin DIN type connector?

Well actually the laptop keyboard or a NANO midi USB keyboard.

Sorry I have been sloppy with language. What I need is to use a USB interface to act as a sound card for MIDI recording.

Im now thinking about spending some more and getting the STEINBERG UR22 MKII instead

STEINBERG UR22 MKII

I would recommend that. Plus it will come with a newer AI version of Cubase. A 4 year old version of Cubase '5' is inadequate and likely a pirated version. Not judging but get rid of that shit. Nobody uses Cubase 5 anymore...it isn't supported by Steinberg and it is not up to today's standards.

Well that would mean that all the 32 bit VSTs could no longer be used wouldn't it? There are quite a few I like. I have bought a second hand laptop with Cubase and other tools on it. If I get into it and there are enough advantages I might buy the latest version, but really I would prefer to familiarise myself with the existing one before going down that route.

Not necessarily. J-bridge still works for using 32-bit plugs in later versions of Cubase as far as I have read on the Steinberg forums.

But if you purchased a second hand laptop that has full version of Cubase on it, and you do not have the actual dongle the license, then it is a pirated copy and you will have issues anyway. Go ahead and familiarize yourself with it for now. It will give you an idea as to what is worth using. Nobody going to put you in jail for using them. BUT...

You are far better off IMO with the updated plugs that come stock with Cubase 9 AI. They are not the low end versions that were around 4 years ago.

There was at a time when someone gave me the whole Waves Mercury bundle for free when I first started recording at home. He said he owned the license. Naw, I found it was pirated... I tried them for a while and thought it was awesome. Until I realized just how illegal that was...

Over the years I realized it is not just the software that makes your music great. Some are better than others but then that is why some are more expensive. It is what and how you record that is more important. And old versions of any plugins that are not at 64-bit now, were not worth updating because they were either replaced by an update, or forgotten because they didn't sound good or did not sell. Or illegal pirated versions. Get it?

I now own only 2 Waves plugins. Because those are the only ones I find useful. And they are legal and updated far better than the cracked versions from long ago. There are much better plugins on the market now. Even the free ones that are 64-bit.

The Behringer U-Phoria UMC204 has midi in/out and two audio inputs, and costs about $80 at Sweetwater and other retailers. I just got mine at the end of last week and I haven't had time to put it through its paces so I can't speak for all of its capabilities, but my initial experiments indicated it's a great audio and midi interface for the money.

I know people have written good things about the Behringer AIs but I remain sceptical. The UR22 comes from a good stable and with Cubase 'lite' which will probably do much of what you want but in any case gives you a discounted update to the bigger versions. BUT!

if REALLY low latency is your aim save a bit and get the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. As well as 2 extra line ins/outs (4 track recording) you get the Cubase deal again but also a version of Kontakt players and 3G of samples free to download.

Ok, it is closer to £200 than £100 but it runs on any platform including Linux and over the last 12 years and several AIs and computers I have never had a more stable device..SO stable in fact that I just don't notice it, just bloody works!

Dave.

Well I have been bought the Steinberg module for Christmas and get Cubase 9 with it, so I have every option to upgrade it. Will hold fire for now, as that would mean I sacrifice the limited familiarity I have now. I hope my latency issues will be resolved by it.

There is a possibility that the 32-bit Cubase is slowing things down, though it's hard to say for sure, since you're not going to be able to A/B 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same software. But, as they are different by that much, it probably wouldn't be an upgrade install to put the new version on your system and poke around a little just to see how it feels, and whether latency is reduced when using it; i.e., I would expect the install to leave your old version intact, though you might [should] be able to migrate existing projects (losing those 3rd party 32-bit VSTs of course).

There is a possibility that the 32-bit Cubase is slowing things down, though it's hard to say for sure, since you're not going to be able to A/B 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same software. But, as they are different by that much, it probably wouldn't be an upgrade install to put the new version on your system and poke around a little just to see how it feels, and whether latency is reduced when using it; i.e., I would expect the install to leave your old version intact, though you might [should] be able to migrate existing projects (losing those 3rd party 32-bit VSTs of course).

Is it possible for the two versions to co-exist? I can use the newer 64bit version for new projects, but it would be good to have the old version there just to play back bits and pieces which are based around 32 bit plugins.

Is it possible for the two versions to co-exist? I can use the newer 64bit version for new projects, but it would be good to have the old version there just to play back bits and pieces which are based around 32 bit plugins.

Yes. Each version of Cubase is a different program. I have 7, 8 and 9, all installed on my recording computer.

You can usually import earlier versions into later ones, but not ever backwards. Well, you could export tracks and move them from a newer version to an older one, but that wouldn't be productive or make any sense...

if it reassures you.. I saw a considerable improvement in latency in Vstis moving from a Scarlett to a Steiny UR824... from not even playable to not really noticeable.
You should expect playable output latencies using the UR.
But if you DON'T see improvement under C5.. just upgrade. No one wants to chase down issues with some old, pirated frankensystem :) C9 is really a lot better.

Back