Which version of Windows 7 ?

I have Windows 7 Home Premium on my new DAW. I find that I have need to remotely connect another computer in the house occasionally. My two options are to use one of the free VNC softwares available, or, for $50 or so, to upgrade to Win 7 Pro, which has Remote Desktop Connection built in. So, looking at Win 7, I know that it has that networking ability, it can utilize up to 64 of memory (but I'm not a heavy memory user) ....... and there arrives my question: does Pro have any other features which might be of any use in a DAW? Thanks for any information or opinions.

No - I don't think pro does has any other features which might be of use in a DAW. The main additions are the ability to join an NT domain and remote desktop support, both features that are important for an office environment but not much use for a musician, unless of course you need or want remote desktop :-)

The only thing that I can think of is that Win7 Pro allows you to use the integrated Windows backup utility to save backup data to a network location. So if you have a NAS, you can back up your files there. In Win7 Home, you can only backup to a local drive (which pretty much negates the usefulness of a backup). So unless you're using a 3rd-party backup utility, Win7 Pro at least has that going for it...

A quick Google shows that you can get W7 to run Remote Desktop but it involves hacking .dll files...NOT going there!
I dabbled with Team Viewer a few years ago, seemed promising.

I don't quite get the backup issue? I have a NAS drive and can access it from any of 3 W7 Home P computers including this i3 HP lappy which is on a wireless link. In fact I have shortcuts of the NAS on each desktop and so can just dump stuff in. The drive came with some "Freecom" software.

What do you mean by a "Local Drive" T? I have USB 3.0 Seagate drive connected to my main Asus 6core and once again there is software to run it as a backup device. I also have shortcuts to that on other desktops and therefore, so long as the Asus is fired up I can access that drive on the network. Pretty slow but can be done! The USB 3.0 direct connection is of course super fast.

Lastly, it seems anyone with a legit W7 or 8 will be getting W10 for free so it might be worth while for the OP to wait and see how that shakes down?

Dave.

Thanks for all those answers.

This: The only thing that I can think of is that Win7 Pro allows you to use the integrated Windows backup utility to save backup data to a network location. So if you have a NAS, you can back up your files there. is interesting. I was not thinking of backup in the context of this matter that I'm raising, but in fact I do have to address backup pretty soon, and the above could help solve that problem for me as well.

I'm curious...why back up to a remote computer in the same house?

I mean...just grab a small external drive, and back up to that....then you can also keep that drive in some other location or easily take it with you...or more importantly, move the backed up files to other computers as needed.

I bought Windows 7 Professional (on advice) because it has a better compatibility mode for running old software...but, in more than two years I haven't used that once!

However, I'm with miroslav. I just use an external drive (sometimes local, sometimes on my Wifi router) for my back ups.

I bought Windows 7 Professional (on advice) because it has a better compatibility mode for running old software...but, in more than two years I haven't used that once!

However, I'm with miroslav. I just use an external drive (sometimes local, sometimes on my Wifi router) for my back ups.

How old is "old" Bobbs? Don't want to spoil your brekky (lunch/tea?) but all my PCs bar one (XP) are W7 hp and they run Adobe Audition 1.5 fine. I have a magazine freebie of Samplitude SE8..Fine. I bought an Evolution EKeys 49 dumb keyboard (from Comet!) FKs how long ago and the MIDI and sampler software for that runs very well.

I also have a PC magazine somewhere that tells you how to run XP on a W7 HP machine when Msoft say you need the Biggy! You do need an XP disc though.

Yes, IF* I did backups I too would use a USB drive. Can see no reason why I could not backup to my NAS drive with Home? Take all night but could be done.

BTW. If you go> Computer>Manage>Services there is a Remote Desktop service in W7/HP. No indication that it does not work?

*I have tried various backup and "image" software in the past and always seem to get in a bugger's muddle. I content myself with saving stuff in several locations. Drive space is cheap. Now that son is no longer here making huge music/vid files, not such a problem.

Dave.

VERY old.

As we've discussed many a time, I rarely use MIDI but, for the times I did/do, I have an ancient version of Sonar--indeed, I think the original since it doesn't have a number. That one IS fussy about running beyond XP--in fact, I think I was on '98 when I got it, somewhere around 2000 or 2001. I still have the disk in the cupboard somewhere but now use Ableton for my rare forays into the mysterious world of MIDI.

My oldest Audition is AA3.01 and that runs just fine on Win7 as you say.

VERY old.

As we've discussed many a time, I rarely use MIDI but, for the times I did/do, I have an ancient version of Sonar--indeed, I think the original since it doesn't have a number. That one IS fussy about running beyond XP--in fact, I think I was on '98 when I got it, somewhere around 2000 or 2001. I still have the disk in the cupboard somewhere but now use Ableton for my rare forays into the mysterious world of MIDI.

My oldest Audition is AA3.01 and that runs just fine on Win7 as you say.

Speaking of "ancient MIDI"! Recently there was a programme on Quest about the making of the paper rolls for player pianos. They compose on a MIDI keyboard and what looks like an old BBC computer, it takes the REALLY floppy "B" discs! The disc then gets put into another machine, probably the only one left in the world and that uses pneumatic punches to make the holes in the paper roll.

Dave.

I think the home premium version of W7 has a RAM limit of 16 gig.

It does indeed but I can't see that being an issue for the vast majority here? "We" son and I coped famously with just 2G and he built up some pretty complex tracks in Cubase.

I upped this HP i3 laptop to 8G because I had the dosh at the time. The only difference it seems to have made is to make my left leg hotter!

Maybe someone doing 4K vid might feel the pinch?

Yup! It seem 64G ram is considered the minimum!

Dave.

It does indeed but I can't see that being an issue for the vast majority here? "We" son and I coped famously with just 2G and he built up some pretty complex tracks in Cubase.

I upped this HP i3 laptop to 8G because I had the dosh at the time. The only difference it seems to have made is to make my left leg hotter!

Maybe someone doing 4K vid might feel the pinch?

Yup! It seem 64G ram is considered the minimum!

Dave.

I don't know man. Many are in the MIDI realm of VSTi's that could run out quickly.

Not saying I am, but I sure as hell updated to W7 Pro just so I have the option.

OEM version is now $99 or less while you can get it. No purchasing from MS directly anymore. I tried to buy the disc so I could use on future installs. MS told me to fuck off.

Not looking forward to my next build with W8 or above...

Figure I have 5 years or so with my new system. I'll deal with it later. :)

I don't know man. Many are in the MIDI realm of VSTi's that could run out quickly.

Not saying I am, but I sure as hell updated to W7 Pro just so I have the option.

OEM version is now $99 or less while you can get it. No purchasing from MS directly anymore. I tried to buy the disc so I could use on future installs. MS told me to fuck off.

Not looking forward to my next build with W8 or above...

Figure I have 5 years or so with my new system. I'll deal with it later. :)

Fair enough Jim! I really don't know that much about the subject.

I wonder if you can direct me to a Kosher source for W7/64 (Home!) ?
I am also a bit desperate to get hold of XP Pro because I have mislaid/lost my copy and I like to have one XP machine running, if only so's I can say, "WTF can't W7 be a s simple as this!" Yeah, I know, silly old fart!

I am prepared to take a risk with XP, not a vital machine and I can format till the cows come home.

Meant to say! (old, 1/32 blind, deaf, medridden old fart you see!) It will be interesting to see how W10 pans out? Early reports seem to suggest it is fine for audio and far more friendly than Hated Eight. Looks like it will be free to boot?

Dave.

I am not even sure there is a way to find an XP disc unless you have one.

Trust me, I have no clue how that all works as far as software but I have only been in PC recording for 5 or 6 years. XP was long gone for me when I started.

Vista was where I started and it was a nightmare for me.

W7 seemed to get shit straight finally.

So here I am, 6 PC's with no W7 complete installation discs. I never thought to buy a 'full version'. Only OEM discs or the software for each computer (they are still available tho not many so I hear).

Sounds like we are in the same boat, only with different oceans next to us. :/

I am not even sure there is a way to find an XP disc unless you have one.

Trust me, I have no clue how that all works as far as software but I have only been in PC recording for 5 or 6 years. XP was long gone for me when I started.

Vista was where I started and it was a nightmare for me.

W7 seemed to get shit straight finally.

So here I am, 6 PC's with no W7 complete installation discs. I never thought to buy a 'full version'. Only OEM discs or the software for each computer (they are still available tho not many so I hear).

Sounds like we are in the same boat, only with different oceans next to us. :/

Heh! Well Northampton UK is about as far as you can get from the sea, and that is the North Sea, not a nice one!

I have XP home on a very old 20G hard drive but need to put Pro back onto a 750G SATA. One of the things I dislike about Seven is that it seems never to put things where you want them and I can't seem to change folder lists as I want them, e.g. "list by last modified".

And WHAT was wrong with the Sounds and Devices setup menus in XP? Change for change sake IMHO!

BLISTA! Yes, had it on a Toshy works laptop. Actually was Vista Business which I have just found out could support 128G of ram. I did not do much more with it than emails and write in Word so not that bad. The NI KA6 worked fine but then I would expect nothing less of such a well engineered interface!

Dave.

A quick Google shows that you can get W7 to run Remote Desktop but it involves hacking .dll files...NOT going there!
I dabbled with Team Viewer a few years ago, seemed promising.

I don't quite get the backup issue? I have a NAS drive and can access it from any of 3 W7 Home P computers including this i3 HP lappy which is on a wireless link. In fact I have shortcuts of the NAS on each desktop and so can just dump stuff in. The drive came with some "Freecom" software.

What do you mean by a "Local Drive" T? I have USB 3.0 Seagate drive connected to my main Asus 6core and once again there is software to run it as a backup device. I also have shortcuts to that on other desktops and therefore, so long as the Asus is fired up I can access that drive on the network. Pretty slow but can be done! The USB 3.0 direct connection is of course super fast.

Lastly, it seems anyone with a legit W7 or 8 will be getting W10 for free so it might be worth while for the OP to wait and see how that shakes down?

Dave.

I mean that in the Windows Backup Utility setup wizard, you can't enter a network location as the destination path for a backup file in Win7 Home. A NAS is perfectly accessible from Win7 Home otherwise, you just can't backup directly to it using Windows' built-in backup utility.

I'm curious...why back up to a remote computer in the same house?

I mean...just grab a small external drive, and back up to that....then you can also keep that drive in some other location or easily take it with you...or more importantly, move the backed up files to other computers as needed.

In my home network I have 2 desktops, 2 laptops, 2 iPhones, an iPad, a Windows Phone, an android tablet, a smart TV, and a PlayStation. I wanted a single central network-accessible data store that I could use as a backup device for my desktops and to stream my music collection to any device in the house. Plus I can give friends accounts/shares on my NAS and we can swap files/projects from afar.

Fortunately my NAS (WD MyCloud) came with a great backup utility that does incremental backups of my desktops.

It seems that Microsoft has made the decision FOR me, so to speak. The difference in price between Home Premium OEM and Professional when buying the components was about $60. To upgrade using so-called "Windows Anytime Upgrade" is $130. So much for that.

Back