Vegas - Sound Forge - 24bit?!

OldCopper

I'm using Vegas to multitrack and clicking on Sound Forge XP to open up files for editing while still running Vegas. Very handy. I just started using a 24 bit card and now I can't open up my 24 bit WAV files in XP. I guess it's 16 bit only? So what do I do for an editor? I think the standard version of Sound Forge has the same limitation. I really like XP, I'd hate to think I need to use another editor :( .

I'm just a beginner, so pardon me if I'm missing something. Others must be finding a solution to this issue.

Thanks!!!

Mark

Unfortunatly, the only solution is to change editors. Sonic Foundry does some strange shit. Vegas is a great program, and Sound Forge was a great editor.

If you want to stay in the same bit resolution, Wavelab is where it's at.
www.steinberg.net

Yup, I love Sound Forge but I'll have to give it up as soon as I make the move to 24-bit. Wavelab is the best option I've seen. Basicly, ditto what Emeric said.

People keep forgetting Syntrillium's Cool Edit!

Cool Edit Pro and Cool Edit 2000 are good and cheaper alternatives, and does all sample rates and bit words.

Cool Edit 2000 costs a wee bit more that Sound Forge XP but offers TONS more stuff than SF! It even has all manner of noise shaping.

I've been using CE for three years now. I look at SF and laugh!
www.syntrillium.com

[This message has been edited by beetlefan (edited 07-31-2000).]

Thanks for the replies. I've got Vegas to do the complex stuff. I was only using SF XP for editing. Unless I'm missing something I'd be shelling out over $400 for Wavelab 3.0 just as a support utility for Vegas. Or is that wrong? Is there a dumbed down version with a lower price tag you guys are suggesting? (I did see Wavelab 2.0 listed on the site but haven't found a price or a source to buy it.)

Cool Edit 2K, at $69, seems like a better replacement for XP.

Newbie question: Like XP, Cool Edit 2k does not accept Direct-X plugins. Is that a consideration? Is there a reason to do processing at the editor level? Or do you do it all at the Vegas level? My next purchase is Native Power Pack. All the more reason I don't want to spend a lot on XP's replacement.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Back