Utopia Live (Is it any good?)

Henry Low

I went accross the net and found this soundfont program with all these proffessional soundfonts in it that replaces the default SBlive soundfonts.

I am just wondering if it was a good purchase since it was only 18 bucks and I read from several computer hardware sites, they say they are really high quality fonts, but I wanted to hear it from you guys. Cause I want to start recording some music soon with midi soundfonts on my computer.

Henry Low,

I think that Utopia Live! is a good deal. But if you have a SB Audigy, hold out for the new version.

Remember though, that aside from the other extras they've thrown in, this is a replacement for your GENERAL MIDI set. That's it. So look over the General MIDI instruments. Are they instruments that you use often? Utopia will provide brass, woodwind, string, and percussion sounds that are far better than what comes with the Live!. If you're, say, a hard rocker or a rapper, this might not be the deal for you. Your money might be better spend on, i.e. a drums sample CD.

Make sense?

Take a look at this:

http://www.queststudios.com/quest/compare2001.html

Quest Studios is one of my favorite websites. It's geared for gamers, but this sound card comparison (which includes Utopia Live!) ought to help you out. Roland Sound Canvas it ain't, but it's a bargain at $18. You also might consider emailing Tom Lewandowski. He can be very helpful - when I first got my Roland MT-32, he helped me set it up. Also, there's a forum over there with some people who use Utopia Live!. You might get some good info from them.

Good luck!

Back