Using SONY PCM-D1 as external mike on computer

Sam H

Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to use my Sony PCM-D1 recorder with my computer with applications like Skype, Zoom etc. I have a 3.5mm stereo jack with which I have linked my mac and the Sony via the headphone ports. Not sure what to do next... Thanks in advance for any tips. Sam

if you can monitor the MIC signal, it should work. Line out of the Sony to line in on the Mac.

Thanks! How do you mean 'monitor the MIC signal'? Sorry - I'm a bit of a novice with all this. I've linked up the headphone jacks - they are the only options - and opened the sound panel on my mac. It looks like this: Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 14.16.30.png But only the computer mikes are picking up any signal.

Monitoring is like hearing the sound before recording

You would need a input jack on the Mac and I don't see that in the input dialog.

Hi,
Monitoring means if you plug headphones into the Sony, you can hear yourself through them.

Also, your computer needs to have a line-input.
It most likely has a multi-purpose 3.5mm socket that detects what's plugged in, but I'd prove it to be sure.

Go to About This Mac -> System report -> Audio.
That'll tell you if you have an analog line input or not.

If both of those things are true, a 3.5mm between the devices should work fine.

Guessing there's a pretty good chance a Mac may have a combo TRRS jack for headphone/mic usage. Might need an adapter to split out the inputs.

The other thing is the Sony PCM-D1 appears to have two mics for stereo recording. Ideally you would only want to use just one mic for for a narration which your software would create a centered left/right audio image from the single mic source.

Back