Using Mbox 2 as an ad/da converter for Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

Treskalle

Hey! Tried search the forum and on the internet, but didn't find anything useful, so I ask you here at HR and hopes that someone has some nice inputs : )

So, the next 2 months I will dedicate to studio and recording for my band. We using Saffire Pro 40 as interface and I'm really happy about it, but it only contains 8 analog inputs. For the drumset we wanted 9 simeltaneous inputs. So here's the deal, I have a Mbox 2 (but a friend is borrowing it) and a Behringer Ad/da (behringer src2496) and I can't say that I like Behringer so much. So i wonder; could I use the Mbox only as a converter to the inputs on the saffire. Perhaps plug it into another computer or record directly from it? Would this involve latency and time differences? Or should I just stick with the Behringer? Any opinions? If the Behringer should mess up the sound (by adding noise or similar) I would try to cut down to 8 mics. So yes, what do you guys think?

-Steff

Just my opinion, but skip the Behr. Do you REALLY need that 9th mic for the drums? Note that if you use the MBox to get 2 mics into 1 channel of the Saffire you will not be able to adjust the 2 separately in your mix anyway.
Depending on your computer and DAW, you might be able to use 2 devices at once (there are other threads here about that). Yes, you could record to 2 computers at one time but clock synching could become an issue when you go to move the 2nd computer tracks over to the first computer for mix down.

Back